Road trip 2007

New York Travel Blog

Okay....We decided that we would store most of our belongings and furniture at my parents house for now.

We will pack up our little Toyota Corolla with all the essentials (as much as we can possibly fit) and drive cross country to San Francisco.

My father will drop the cats off at the airport once we reach San Francisco and we will pick them up from the pet cargo area. I think they would handle a couple of hours in an airplane better than a 5 day car trip.

Since we'll be moving into a fully furnished apartment with our friend, it doesn't make sense to bring over our entire household just yet.

So Now we're faced with a very long road trip. 42 hours and 39 minutes to be exact. Although someone told me that was a very optimistic estimated time from MapQuest.

We'll be taking the (I-80) route from NY to CA. We'll be driving through a number of states...

New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada...

and finally we'll reach California.

Of course, I'll be taking my camera and my laptop. If the hotels we stop in have free Wireless internet (Which most DO have these days) I'll be posting updates here for my friends, family and flickr buddies during our road trip. (so you'll all be coming with us) It will take at least 5-6 days. We're giving ourselves a week so we can do this at a comfortable pace.

Now there's a little fact that I kind of left out about this Great American Road Trip.

Our car already has about 195,000 miles on it and it's ten years old. So in all honesty, IS THIS CRAZY? WILL WE MAKE IT? I don't want to break down in the middle of Death Valley...

I've never in my life taken a road trip like this, neither has my husband. If anyone has attempted something like this, Is there anything very important that we need to bring or anything that we need to know?

Aboynamedgoo says:
the longest road trip i've been on was from Nashville, TN to San Diego, CA on I-40 in the summer of 1996. i just sat in the backseat making funny faces at truckers and motorist, i was 10 years old. the NY-to-CA drive is something i've always wanted to do, you guys will have so much fun. if you guys ever drive through columbus, OH give me a shout. GOOD LUCK!
Posted on: Sep 10, 2007
Adrian_Liston says:
That is quite the road trip! I've never been inland in the US, just the east and west coasts, but I have driven across Australia. It is far more boring that you would think, just endless nothing :)
Posted on: Sep 09, 2007
clarity25 says:
Thanks so much for your kind comment and your advice! It's really appreciated! I think if we take it slow, with frequent breaks we should be okay. I-80 seems like a straight way path from N.Y. to S.F. (I hope!....)
Posted on: Jul 14, 2007