An unexpected trip

Greystones Travel Blog

I used to go out with a bloke who I thought was 'mad', 'crazy', 'spontaneous'. But after an episode one summer I was left feeling perhaps he was slightly more unhinged than I'd originally suspected. I'd met him outside a club, the club was full so him, his friend and our group hooked up to find somewhere to move on to. He was wild, always playing tricks, always slightly obtuse and I thought he was dreamy. He'd been at uni in Durham but had given it up recently for no apparent reason and moved back to London. I wasn't about to complain now that he would live near me! After some wild weekends spent together something happened to him, the details escaped me, but it was nothing more than being hustled into a van I think for an overnight stay in the clink, yet he became convinced he'd been the victim of 'police brutality'.
Suddenly he started a campaign to get his story in the newspapers, hoping to sell his story for £1 million! But in classic 'him'-style, when he was refused interest by the tabloids he hailed cabs to their offices, jumped the fare and stormed the buildings, followed in hot pursuit by the taxi driver and eventually escorted out by security. At this point I should probably have heard the warning bells, but I just thought he was cool man.

Finding his dramatic tale falling on deaf ears in this country he decided that the Irish tabloids might be more sympathetic. Especially seeing as his uncle worked as the sports editor of one of the irish newspapers, so he thought he might be able to pull some strings. He called me to explain the whole story, and then explained how he'd cashed in the ISA his parents had been saving for him and had booked a flight to Dublin.
I was shocked at the whole fiasco and since he couldn't tell me how long he'd be gone for I said I'd miss him. He said in that case get a bag together and be at Heathrow in 4 hours, and hung up. I debated the merits in staying or going....and packed a bag. I'll never forget turning up at the airport not knowing whether this was all a joke or whether he'd even be there, but he was.

We caught the flight to Dublin, high jinx all the way, us chucking minstrels at each other chasing each other to the window seat all the way down the tunnel, spiralling round the other passengers and tumbling into the plane. Him wearing comedy boxers on the outside of his trousers and earmuffs he'd bought as presents for his family. We arrived in Dublin and caught a taxi to Greystones, a little coastal town just south of Dublin in County Wicklow.
As we arrived at the house it quickly became clear that he had not announced his arrival to his family, but fortunately we were welcomed by his cousins, and later gruffly by his uncle.

The week we spent there was mostly spent hanging around with his cousins, doing the things they did, which mostly consisted of hanging round the beach and playing pool in the pub. Having cashed in his parents ISA he was flinging money around like water, basically giving it away, or giving it to people for crazy reasons. We went to the chinese restaurant (which his cousins had never been to, seemed more for tourists than for residents) and paid them double, not to mention tipping them an extra £20 if they would leave an ice box full of water outside the door so I could throw it over him when we left as a joke.
We made crazy bets with people, and bet on stupid pranks. It was hilarious, no worries or cares.

The police brutality story seemed to take a back seat once we arrived and to my knowledge no conversation ever took place between him and his uncle regarding a newspaper story. We simply enjoyed a fun and funny week messing about and doing what he did best, acting irresponsibly. When we came to leave he spent some time with the yellow pages trying to arrange the most amusing way of returning home, for instance by helicopter or hover-craft, but eventually after seeing the price decided to return by good old reliable cheap aeroplane.

It wasn't long after that that we broke up, for reasons I'll never understand and in a way I'll never understand either. At that point I realised that it wasn't just madness for madness's sake but something a bit deeper and when we met up some months later I realised that mentally he was exhausting to be around because you never quite knew where you were. Still, I'll always remember how much fun he was back then, and the spontaneous madcap week in Ireland.
wangwei says: