Day Three: Afternoon--Green Animals Topiary Garden

Portsmouth Travel Blog

Man

A short drive north of Newport, the Topiary Gardens surprised me in a pleasant way.  The property was more extensive than I had expected although the Gardens were very compact (so much that I walked past a section or two before realizing I had passed it).  The house of the past owner is open to the public which made the touring more extensive than I had known.  The first floor of the house is decorated in period (one room even has its original wallpaper from prior to 1900) while upstairs is a collection of antique toys.  I especially liked looking at the dollhouses although I have a feeling that my dad would have preferred the tin soldiers.

Once done looking at the house (it was only open until five while the grounds are open until six although you do have arrive before 5 in order to pay your entrance fee), I followed the map to discover the approximately eighty sculpted trees/bushes in the gardens.

Camel
  A green man greets visitors.  About thirty steps in a variety of animals cavort: elephant, giraffe, lion, camel.  Passing beneath arches leads one to an obelisk; ahead are teddy bears and unicorns.  Just to the left is another collection including a man on horseback and a stag.  Opposite this grouping are the newest additions: a Rhode Island red rooster, a baby giraffe, and a dog.  An arbor covered in grapevines provides shade while the lily pond is a relaxing sight.

After my visit to the Topiary Garden, I returned to Providence, put gas in the car before returning it, and headed into the airport.  Thunderstorms in the Baltimore area had grounded a number of flights which caused delays.  Flying carry-on proved useful again as I was able to switch flights and land back in Maryland only about 15 minutes late (with plenty of time to meet up with some friends and go see the new Harry Potter movie).

cotton_foam says:
We visited this garden too!!
Posted on: May 29, 2013
Lily pond
Lily pond
Grapes in the arbor
Grapes in the arbor
Scotty Dog, little but a favorite …
Scotty Dog, little but a favorite…
Arch