Day One--Evening

Newport Travel Blog

I arrived in Newport shortly after five (word of warning: the Visitor's Center closes at 5; you will be charged for parking in the nearby lot and will not be able to get your ticket stamped for the free half hour of parking if visiting the Center).  Driving around was not too difficult although Thames St. (the main downtown tourist area) is one way and a bit crowded.

I got settled at the William Gyles Guesthouse (see review) and then headed along Thames St.  The many small shops provided some window browsing (not a huge shopper).  While most of the shops in this area were local ones, some chain stores (Banana Republic, Gap,...) have locations either on Thames St. or nearby.  I had dinner at the Wharf Pub and Restaurant located on Bowen's Wharf where I sat outside, people-watched, and saw the sun slowly go down.

After the meal, I walked around the area between Touro St and Marlborough St.  Here I saw the oldest synagouge in the country, the Colony House, what is supposedly the oldest tavern continuously in operation in the US (White Horse Tavern), several other churches, and a small park with a statue honoring Oliver Hazard Perry, a hero in the War of 1812.

cotton_foam says:
My family resided in Newport for 3 years so I know all those streets you've mentioned here! I love our life in that state!!
Posted on: May 29, 2013
Oliver Hazard Perry statue
Oliver Hazard Perry statue
Newport Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
I found the Wharf Pub & Restaurant to be an enjoyable dining experience especially as a solo diner. It has three seating areas: the bar with its own … read entire review
Newport Hostels review
I had never stayed in a hostel before but my two nights here have made me eager to plan my next trip with a hostel visit. Six to seven guests can sta… read entire review
photo by: diisha392