Rovinj / Rovigno

Rovinj Travel Blog

I had always imagined that if I went to Croatia, it would be to sail the Dalmatian coast.  Instead I booked a last minute, 5 day holiday with a friend which resulted in us flying into Pula (Istria) with no firm plan.

Pula is a tiny airport in the middle of nowhere.  There are no buses into town; you have to take a taxi or hire a car.  We hired a car and first drove into Pula town centre to check it out.  It was pretty enough, but after a short stop we continued up the coast to Rovinj.  I thought we would stay for one night then head off to the islands (Rab maybe?) but WOW! - what a totally picturesque port Rovinj is.  After spending the afternoon looking around we decided to stay.  If you are looking for a romantic destination this would fit the bill.

We hadn't booked accomodation, and began to panic when we found everywhere was booked solid.  Luckily we chanced upon a family run guest house, and luckier still, I speak a bit of Italian.  There is a strong Italian influence in Istria - the most people spoke was a few words of English, so I'd advise you to take an Italian or Croatian dictionary, if you go here.

We stayed the first night here then moved to another self-catering studio (£25 per night for the studio) nearby, further along the coast.  The beaches are shingle / pebble.  Make sure you buy some beach shoes when you arrive.  Everywhere was deserted.  How lovely to have the beach to ourselves!

We spent most days driving to the hill towns and other coastal towns - nowhere was more than an hour away.  The roads are good and traffic was minimal.  Otherwise we hired bicycles and cycled along the beautiful coastal cycle trail, or swam in the freezing cold crystal clear sea.

The food and wine was great (we mostly ate seafood and icecream!) and the prices were amazingly cheap for us Londoners.

My lasting memories are of the crystal clear sea, the peacefulness of the location, the friendliness of the locals and the amazingly good value for money.