Waking up in a ghost town

Port Arthur Travel Blog

Church at Port Arthur

I found it very difficult to sleep so close to this ‘ghostly site’, it isn’t that I was particularly spooked by the ghost stories of last night, it is more the feel of this place. You feel like unseen forces are pushing you down, this is very hard to explain... anyway, after breakfast we headed back down the hill to Port Arthur, this time we were going to have a look at the place during daylight hours.

Port Arthur is a very pretty place. The ruins are picturesque and the scenery is stunning, we went on a half hour cruise and tour of the Isle of the Dead Cemetery, this is a small island in the harbour of Port Arthur where  around 1000 convicts and free people burials took place over a 44 year period from 1833.

View of Port Arthur
We also had a good look around the Historic site and inside all the buildings. You can go into the chapel where the convicts attended mass. The convict would be led into the chapel one by one and placed into a cubicle where a door separating them from the next cubicle would be closed behind them, they would then have to stand during the service until they were led out again one by one back to their cells. It is appalling to think of the lives these men led so far away from their home and country, all for punishment in most cases for the smallest of crimes.

When leaving Port Arthur a feeling of relief washed over me, I didn’t realise I felt like I had been holding my breath the whole time I was in the site. It is what I tried to describe to you earlier. Port Arthur is an ominous place but well worth a visit.

Church window at Port Arthur

Just up the road from Port Arthur, we pulled into the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park. This great little park is the world’s leading wildlife centre for the conservation of the Tasmanian Devil. Here you can observe the aggressive little devils feed, watch a free flight presentation of falcons, feed kangaroo and wander the grounds amongst wallabies. As you enter, there is a terrific presentation on the now extinct Tasmanian Tiger, also known as the Thylacine. There isn’t a great deal known about this mysterious animal, but what is known, you can learn here. This is also the place injured wild animals are brought, and again you can see some of these animals as some are too injured to be released back into the wild.

The chapel at Port Arthur
The chapel at Port Arthur
Tasmanian Devils
Tasmanian Devils
Injured Birds at the Tasmanian Dev…
Injured Birds at the Tasmanian De…
photo by: Sunflower300