A Penguin and a Nut

Stanley Travel Blog

I found my photo of me with the penguin. Don't we make a cute couple. :)

We were very sorry to leave Lemonthyme Lodge, it was so comfortable here and the staff looked after us wonderfully. However, we had a reservation at another guesthouse in the little North West town of Stanley for the night, so had to leave.

Our drive took us through some more stunning scenery up to the north coast of Tasmania and the edge of the Bass Strait. Our first pit stop was the little town of Penguin, which took its name from the Fairy Penguin colonies that dot the coast in this area. This is a pretty little town with a fibro cement penguin statue on the foreshore (which I have misplaced my photo of, so have found one on the internet for you to look at).

The Nut, Stanley

Further along the north coast, we came to Boat Harbour, a popular beachside town that fills to the brim in summertime, but was peacefully quiet on our visit. We stopped here for fish and chips on the beach for lunch before making our way to Stanley.

As you drive west towards Stanley, you see The Nut, a large flat-topped circular headland that dominated the town. Our plan was to find our accommodation, check in, drop off our bags, and head up to the top of The Nut. At 152 metres high, with a path and a chairlift to the top we decided to ride the chairlift up and walk the path back down. At the top, we started to walk around the edge and enjoyed the wind in our faces, until the wind turned into a howling gale and rain started for fall heavily and made it impossible to finish our walk. We ran back across the nut to the chairlift and walking path where we met up with all the others stranded up there in this sudden storm and headed back down the path, where halfway down, the weather cleared up just as suddenly as the storm came. We debated going back up and finishing our walk around the edge, but we figured we saw pretty much all we were going to see.

Our Accommodation for the night was Abbey’s Cottage, a pretty white and green cottage, where we cooked ourselves risotto for dinner and curled up in front of the open fire before heading to bed.

Sunflower300 says:
There are some cute little names here in Tassie, that's a good idea for a blog, all the names of funny towns one had been too, here in Aus we have some real corkers, but I dont' know if any quite compare to 'Intercouse' of course. :)
Posted on: Jun 27, 2009
I found my photo of me with the pe…
I found my photo of me with the p…
Boat Harbour