A Magical Day

Hobart Travel Blog

Shane and I

This morning we had a Harley Davidson sidecar ride booked to depart from near Salamanca Place. We met our tour guide in a little stand-alone shop front full of warm bike riding clothes including leather jackets. Shane rugged up in leather and me in a ski jacket with a big woollen jumper underneath (I felt like the Michelin man) and headed off on our tour.

Our destination was the top of Mount Wellington to take in the spectacular view and drive the winding road to the top. I have never been in the sidecar of a motorbike before and grinned all the way to the top of the mountain. Shane was pillion passenger on the back of the bike with our tour guide driving. What a fantastic ride, the path we drove took us passed the Cascade Brewery and through the lushness of South Hobart and onto the Huon Highway to Fern Tree, a lovely little community halfway up the mountain then a left turn onto Pinnacle Road, which took us all the way to the summit.

The magical mist covered hills surrounding Mount Wellington
Some of the trees we passed stood at a 45% angle due to the force of the wind blowing on them. It was freezing at the summit, so I was thankful for the warm clothes out driver made us wear. Shane and I took a little stroll to one of the lookout points to take in the view of Hobart and surrounds, but there were too many other people there for us to get a good view, so we wandered to another lookout point that we had to ourselves. It was beautiful. There was a light mist covering the hills surrounding Mount Wellington, which gave it a mystical feel. It was a wonderful peaceful moment, and Shane chose this wonderful peaceful moment to pop the matrimonial question. Awww shucks, in such a romantic setting and with Shane looking hot in his leather gear, how could a girl say no?

Needless to say, I grinned all the way back down the mountain as well, back to Salamanca Place, where we went in search of a token of the day in the many shops there.

Our transportation
Shane had surprised himself as much as he surprised me with his proposal and didn’t come prepared with an engagement ring. One of the shops at Salamanca was a little antique store that sold all sorts of things from lovely old furniture to kids costume jewellery. It was while we were searching through the kid’s jewellery that the sales woman came up to us to ask us what we were looking for. We told her we had just gotten engaged and that we were looking for a token of the day. She looked at us as if we were mad and asked us why we weren’t looking in the jewellery cabinets at the back of the shop.  We didn’t realise there were cabinets at the back of the shop and headed back to have a look. We found the perfect diamond ring; it was just what I had pictured for myself if I ever got married and it fit perfectly. So we bought it.

Shane took possession of the ring and took me to a pretty park just up the street where he presented me with it. He then took me to lunch and for a glass of bubbles to celebrate.

Today was the last day of our fabulous tour of Tassie and I couldn’t think of a better way to top it off.  Tasmania is an enchanting place with many magical mysteries to discover, a tranquillity to sooth the soul, and scenery to take your breath away, this was truly one of the best holidays I have ever taken.

troysgonewalkabout says:
You've made me slightly homesick :)
Posted on: Apr 29, 2010
vances says:
So I guess you really espouse this place?
Posted on: Feb 22, 2008
rotorhead85 says:
Great way to travel! And congratulations!!
Posted on: Jan 27, 2008
Shane and I
The magical mist covered hills sur…
The magical mist covered hills su…
photo by: Sunflower300