Launceston Travel Blog

Highfield House

After our fun night at Hawley House, we needed a bit of a sleep in. No such luck though, we had to be in the restaurant for breakfast and then check out. Our destination today was Launceston, the second largest city in Tasmania. I have always liked Launceston and was looking forward to showing Shane around this pretty town.

We were staying in Highfield House, a gorgeous Victorian bed and breakfast. When we checked in, we received an invite to take afternoon tea in the sitting room where our hosts had homemade cakes and biscuits for our enjoyment to have with a hot cup of coffee. Our hosts tonight were a lovely couple who had toured around Tasmania a few years earlier and fallen in love with the state, bought themselves a bed and breakfast and never gone home again. They were originally from Germany but had been living in Queensland for a number of years.

Shane and I were pretty tired still from the late night at Hawley House, and all we wanted to do was grab a bite to eat and hit the hay. We found a wonderful little pub in town where we had our meal, then headed back to Highfield House for another evening in front of a warming fire with the household cat on my lap, and sipping complementary port before turning in for the night.

Breakfast was a delicious feast served in the breakfast room at the front of the house. Our host had made some crab apple Jam from the crab apples off the tree in the front yard. Shane and I happened to be the only guest staying in the house the night we were there and were spoilt rotten by our hosts, being served wonderful waffles, bacon and eggs and all sorts of delicious food to keep our bellies full until way past lunchtime.

The hosts of this Bed and Breakfast were the loveliest hosts we met on our trip. I’m not sure if they are still running the B & B, but it was a wonderful experience staying here, even for the very short time we did.

sylviandavid says:
It really sounds nice.... breakfast is my favorite meal so I would love this! sylvia
Posted on: Mar 16, 2008