A Day to Remember

Strahan Travel Blog

Strahan Village

We had a river cruise booked in this morning that would take us up the Gordon River and into wonderful world heritage rainforest area. This cruise was probably the highlight of my entire Tasmanian trip.

The cruise departed from Strahan wharf and headed out towards Hells Gates, the rough and treacherous narrow passage named by the convicts on their way to Sarah Island. Our captain, informed us it is not always possible to pass through Hells Gates. However, we were in luck today and managed the pass through without incident.

On the way up the river, the boat, Wanderer II, passed by Liberty Point and farms for Atlantic salmon and Ocean Trout, and on to Sarah Island, the oldest and most feared convict settlement.

Wanderer II

The settlement became the largest shipbuilding yard in Australia with the ships built by the convicts. There is a fascinating story about a handful of convict shipwrights and ‘The Ship That Never Was’. I am not going to tell you this story, you will just have to come to Tassie and hear it for yourself.

After a visit to Sarah Island, the cruise meanders along the mirror like waters of the Gordon River to Heritage Landing for two hours of strolling through the magnificent ancient rainforest. As you cruise back to Strahan you will not believe your eyes as you stare in wonder at the magical water, the photos I took didn’t do the view any amount of justice, however, I recommend taking a look at the web site for World Heritage Cruises (see my review) to browse through the magnificent photos they have there.

After the cruise, we spent the afternoon wondering the main street of Strahan browsing in all the wonderful wood carving workshops watching local craftsmen work with the lovely and unique timbers of Tasmania.

The mirror like waters of the Gordon River
I fell in love with the Myrtle on this trip, it has a lovely rich red colour, but the most famous of the Tasmanian timbers would have to be the Huon Pine, it is the prince of Tasmanian timbers, and the early settlers used it for building the ships at Sarah Island. The wood contains an oil which prevents the wood from rotting, making it the perfect shipbuilding wood.

Before heading to one of the great restaurants on the main street for dinner, I recommend going to see Tasmania’s longest running play called ‘The Ship That Never Was’, for an evening of drama and hilarity, and a little bit of history thrown into the mix.

Shane and I enjoyed a tasty meal at Hamers Hotel before walking back to our cosy cottage for another night in front of the roaring fire.

Wanderer II
The mirror like waters of the Gord…
The mirror like waters of the Gor…
Salmon Farms
Salmon Farms
Gordon River
Gordon River
Strahan Sights & Attractions review
This would have to be one of the best experiences of my journey around Tasmania. I had heard this was a ‘must see’ experience and I would whole-he… read entire review
Strahan Nightlife & Entertainment review
A great hour spent laughing and avoiding having the actors pull me on stage to participate in Tasmania’s longest running play. Based on a true story… read entire review
Strahan