Lauterbrunnen

Lauterbrunnen Travel Blog

Us in the ice caves!!!

Why I EVER left Lauterbrunnen, I'll never know!!!! The place is my kind of beautiful!!!!

We stayed in a campsite in the valley of 72 waterfalls, which also meant we were surrounded almost entirely by massive sheer snow capped mountains!!! The other advantage of staying in the small Swiss village was access to Jungfraujoch - the "once in a lifetime" railway journey, aka the highest railway station in the world (3571 metres). AWESOME!!!

After the 2 hour scenic and steep ride, and emerging to the beautiful mountain vista, we had fun in the ice palace (ice tunnels dotted with ice sculptures), went tobogganing, sampled the hot chocolate with schnapps and met the gorgeous sled dogs - sadly the snow wasn't firm enough to go for a ride.

Swiss wood shed!!
Our cheaper ticket meant that we had to catch the 12:45pm train (after arriving at 9am) and then walk half the way back down. This " hour walk was great - we got to see even more beautiful mountain scenery, frolick with the cows with bells ( yay!!!) and see many more of the typical cute Swiss mountain villages!!! Wow, what a day.....

The next day I took Steph white water rafting for her early 25th birthday present - yes, I'm 3 months early, but it was such a great opportunity! Being her first time and being thrown straight into a rapid with no warm up, she was a little nervous, but by the end she loved it as much as i do!! It also helped that we were allocated her favourite position on the boat...the stroke!!! It's probably also a little lucky that she is still alive though, as I watched in slow motion as she was almost thrown head first into a rockface!!! The guide also let us jump out and ride solo through a rapid.

The beautiful mountain view of Gimmelwald....cant even get it all in the screen!!!
..scary stuff but we both came out laughing and swam in the glacier blue lake at the end. We topped off the day by eating Rosti, the Swiss traditional meal made of grated potatoes...yum!!

On our third day we went out to Trummelbach falls which drains the glacier defiles of Eiger, Monk and Jungfrau mountains, so its not surprising that the 20,000 litres of water per second waterfalls over time carved out massive corkscrews in the rocks (inside the moutain)!!! It was fascinating to see but also a little scary to be up so close! We also caught a cable car up to Gimmelwald and Murren (2 more mountain top villages) where i also saw many more of the Swiss houses that are fascinated with gnomes (just like me!!).

That night I came down with a bug, so I stayed in bed most of my last day...although I dragged myself to Staubbach falls for my last adventure in Lauterbrunnen!! Like I said, I still dont know why I left!!!

Swiss wood shed!!
The beautiful mountain view of Gim…
The beautiful mountain view of Gi…
One of the many gnome villages!!
One of the many gnome villages!!
Lauterbrunnen