The Water Project

Jalor Travel Blog

 › entry 3 of 3 › view all entries

After leaving the school we went on the 'school bus' to the Rajasthani country side. The journey took around 7 hours and was incredibly draining from the state of the "roads". Leaving the school had been difficult for most people, who were sad to leave their exchange partners and the other friends they had made. I was sad, but I wasn't crying like a lot of the other people were. To tell the truth I was more excited to get out and see more of 'real India'.

We arrived at our destination, a small building called the Ashram which was a sort of town hall, where we would be staying. The bus was parked fairly far away and we had the challenge of getting our bags to the building in the pitch black - and I mean black. It was so dark that I couldn't see my hand held out in front of my face and we only had about 2 torches with us. The problem was trying not to trip up as the floor was very uneven.

However, it was worth it for the view upwards. It was the most rural area I had ever been to and you could tell because when you looked up the amount of stars you could see was overwhealming. I'd never even believed you could see so many. After we had put our bags in the the rooms we went and lay down on the roof of the building - where thankfully we could see other things as there was light in the rooms.

The accomodation was basic, to say the least - but I was happy with whatever we could get. My friends from school and I shared one room - where we had to sleep on tables!! The teachers stayed in another room and the Indian girls slept in another room. As it was boiling most of us slept on the duvets with just a sheet underneath us - which we later realised was a mistake when we all woke up at around 3am absolutely FREEZING and stuck in the dark because all the electricity had been switched off. There was also no chance of a shower, so in the morning we all just got up and had breakfas before heading off to see more of Rajasthan.

We went to various places to see some of the projects of "The Waterman of India"... some were failed experiments but some were amazing places where we could see the clean water coming out of a pump. He had really made a difference to the people there. We then went to a tiger sanctuary, where we said good bye to the Indian girls who had come with us! This was probably the saddest moment as it seemed strange we were now going to be on our own - with only two Indian teachers to keep us company and help us out.

The tiger sancturary was definitely interesting - mostly because of the fact that all the tigers there had been poached so all was a few monkeys and some deer. We spent a lot of time at the sanctuary's hotel, just sat around in the garden there and had a few meals as it was the only place for miles around to eat. And then from Rajasthan we went on to Agra...

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!