Lizard Island Experience, Day 1 cont'd

Lizard Island Travel Blog

View from the restaurant

On the first night I noticed how laid back and relaxed the resort actually was. I was so glad to have taken part on this famil as having been on a walk-thru of Bedarra last November and getting weird looks from the guests for disrupting their breakfast I noticed the difference between the two properties. Bedarra is only small with only 16 villas catering for a maximum of 32 guests so this makes it very exclusive and there is in general less interaction between guests. Lizard on the other hand has 40 villas so is in effect double the size. The atmosphere on Lizard is much different to the atmosphere on Bedarra and is very laid back and casual but at the same time the service is exceptional.

Mark the GM hosted our dinner and explained the difference between to two resorts to us, mainly so when Bedarra was shut by Cyclone Larry last year and they received a lot of Bedarra guests on Lizard Island, in general they were a lot harder to please! I guess think of it like this, your rich out going millionaires like Richard Branson and a lot of celebrities would like Lizard Islands relaxed atmosphere where as your stuffy old British colonels would probably prefer Bedarra. We returned to our rooms after dinner to find they had been turned down, the lights were dimmed and they had lit incense on a oil burner on the coffee table in the middle of the room.

The Lodge Bar
We were each in a Sunset Point Villa which had been recently soft refurbed. They have removed the hammocks from the Verandahs and replaced them with 3/4 size day beds (larger than single/smaller than double!). The colors in the rooms were a white/brown/grey earthy colors which made the room look very clean and neat. The bathrooms are stocked with large bottles of body wash, moisturizer, shampoo and conditioner as a pose to the little mini bottles in all the other Voyages properties. Ice is left at the door daily at 4pm and everything in the mini-bar is completely at the guests disposal (don't worry Jean I restrained myself.. a little!).

Thursday night was the seafood-buffet (lucky us) and it was some of the best seafood I ever tasted, washed down with wine, more wine then dessert wine!
The Lodge Lounge

I was only part of a small group of 4 other agents plus Karen that got to take part in the exclusive famil to Lizard Island. We left a freezing cold sunny Brisbane and arrived into a warm and unseasonaly wet Cairns. There was a bit of initial confusion with the transfers (mainly due to the fact that our flight arrived 30mins early due to strong tail winds) however Karen sorted this out and we caught our mini-van transfer to the Hinterland Aviation Terminal ready to check-in for our flight to Lizard Island.

Guests are allowed to take a total of 30kgs per person INCLUDING hand luggage which is weighed with checked luggage on check-in. The lounges upstairs include tea/coffee/hot chocolate and biscuits for guests prior to boarding. The small scenic flight transfer took approx 50mins from Cairns to Lizard Island and on arrival into Lizard Island we were greeted by Mark the General Manager. We were then transfered from the airstrip to the reception by a small enclosed mini-van/buggy. Luggage is transferred separately to guests and is delivered directly to guests rooms.

Check-in is very informal and is done sitting down on the deck with a glass of champas and some hors doeurves! Welcome to Lizard Island! Unfortunately it was raining and the azure waters looked grey and uninviting but it was beautifully warm and humid with the rainfall and I guess we got to see what it would be like for half the year during the wet season!

Restaurant at night