Primer dia de clases

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

A whole load of Georgia (that would be U(sic)GA) people got here this morning; pretty nice folks with great southern accents!  This afternoon as I ate my “lunch” at 5:30, my friend Sarah from Spanish class last semester walks up the stairs, talk about stunned!  We both stared at each other with looks of “what are YOU doing here!”  Turns out she came with the Georgia group, which is studying Spanish and Social Work (that’s actually a major!).  It was great seeing someone from back home that I really didn’t expect to see.  Just a few hours later, I opted not to make friends with the generic southerners from Georgia and sat with Juliana y Rocia (Or maybe Rocio? I’m not sure how to spell it).  It was great fun as they practiced their English and I my Spanish.  It was like looking in a mirror and seeing what it’s like when I talk to other people and they chuckle at my broken Spanish  ;)  I spoke in Spanish to them, and they would correct me or help me out y yo hice lo mismo para ellas.  We talked about where we’ve traveled and what our plans are and what we’re doing in Buenos Aires.  Juliana went to private school her whole life where she was taught English and changed from Sociology to Drama while studying here in Buenos Aires porque ella no le gusta clases donde se necesita sentar y escuchar a una lectura aburrida.  In one of her drama classes, she was actually required to cry as an assignment!  We chatted for a good 45 minutes at least, and the most interesting part to me was to get a good feel for how students from other countries are, despite all the differences, alike in so many ways to university students back home.

Also today was my first day of classes (actually, yesterday, because its Tuesday morning now and I'm sitting in a cafe on Uriarte and Santa Fe writing this).  Quite fun they were, like Yoda I am.  Our visiting Uruguayan professor, Dr. Felipe Arocenas, who is staying with us the whole trip (even when we travel around Brazil), is an excellent lecturer, and the material is fascinating.  Right now we are looking at the history of Argentina and beginning to look at how that history shaped Argentina into the country that it is today (and all the parallels to other Latin American countries).  All our assignments are done via this blog site, and this blog will be for my 4 weekly personal entries.  I will have another one or two blogs for the class and I'll post the links in case anybody feels like reading my groups interesting analyses of Latin American path development yada yada.  :)

Love you guys!  -D

PS - check out and join this travbuddy group (go to "my groups" at the top right once you're signed in):  "I FOLLOW Jackets Latin Tour"  :)