On a rainy day in Washington DC...

Washington Travel Blog

Abraham Lincoln

From Richmond, VA (where I lived during my year in the US) it took us about 2,5 hours to drive to Washington DC. In the car with me: my hostmom, my hostbrother Ryan and my two best friends Sally and Carol. And yes American high ways are the most boring roads I have ever been on. You can't see any landscape most of the time because there's trees to the left and trees to the right and a big billboard sign every couple of miles.

When we finally arrived in Washington, it was raining. Sally, Carol and I (all three exchange students) were disappointed. This would probably be the one and only time we'd see Washington and it was raining and everything looked gray. At the time I didn't know that Carol and I would be going to DC one more time in the summer though.

Lincoln Memorial
Anyways, we decided to go see the sights ignoring the rain.

Vietnam war memorial first, Lincoln memorial, Korean War memorial, Reflecting Pool, WWII Memorial was just a big construction site at the time, one short look at the Washington Monument and the Capitol and we had enough of the rain. We were hungry. We decided to go to Hardrock Cafe and the cashier at the gift shop even spoke some German, which caught me completely off guard so I answered all her German sentences in English. (This happened to me a couple of times during my stay.)

One day is not enough time to see a lot in Washington and by far not enough to see all the interesting places. I would have liked to see the Holocaust museum or Arlington for example, but we didn't have much time, so we made a quick stop at the White House to stand in a line of Japanese tourists all wanting to take a picture of the White House. I thought it was funny that I was standing in front of the White House at the very same time the president was in Germany. You make it all the way to the White House and the president is in your home country!?

I don't remember the way back home, so I figure it was dark outside and I was asleep in the car. A nice day trip anyways, which I will always remember (just like the rest of my stay in the US. )

The White House