New York State Fair
Syracuse Travel Blog› entry 4 of 5 › view all entries
August 26th, 2007 – by: smhirsch
I love going to the Fair...even if it's just for a few hours like I did this year. What's at the NY State Fair? Lots of stuff...
- Concerts: Usually big names...some past performers have been Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Toby Keith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Hootie and the Blowfish, and many more.
- Food: Dinosaur BBQ (awesome ribs, chicken, pulled pork, etc.
- Clothes, souvenirs, etc: There are tons of venders selling everything from Syracuse University clothing, to studded leather vests, to didgeridoos (not really from Australia, I'm sure, but still cool), to wood crafts, to posters and signs, to RVs and John Deere machinery.
- Animals: Cows, pigs (which I heard were really cute this year), goats, sheep, horses, dogs, etc...there are shows multiple times a day every day where you can watch all these prize animals strut their stuff. There's also a tent with both small and large predatory birds. This year there was even a bald eagle.
- Shows: There are local bands every day that play on a small bandstand in the center of the fairgrounds. There are also X-game-ish biking and skateboarding shows, as well as all the animal shows I already mentioned.
- Sculptures: Don't miss the huge sand sculpture in the John Deere Horticulture Building as well as the butter sculpture (kind of gross when you think about it...so don't...) in the building with all the dairy food (I forget the name...ah well).
- Tons more stuff too!
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!