Parks....Lovely Parks

Chicago Travel Blog

Lincoln Park

This weekend, the sun was shining bright so I headed downtown…and this time it really hit me. The city is gorgeous. I have officially fallen in love with Chicago. With the clear bright blue skies, sun sparkling on the skyscrapers, I headed to Lincoln Park first.

There were lots of people on peddle boats enjoying the breeze on the south lake, many Chicagoans taking a jog through the park, and lots of families feeding the ducks and geese gathered around the banks of the small lake. The view of the city towering behind the lake is outstanding.

I then meandered into Lincoln Park Zoo which houses monkeys, tigers, lions, giraffes, polar bears, penguins, creepy crawlies, to name a few.

The City view from Lincoln Park
The best thing about this place is that it is free. Another freebie is entrance into the Conservatory which houses beautiful tropical flowers and ferns and is a haven for photographers (there seemed to be about 20 photographers focusing their lenses at various lilies, daisies, etc).

After about 2½ hours of wondering around, I sat on a bench and consulted my Lonely Planet city guide. While deciding what to do next, a man obviously noted my ‘touristy’ appearance and suggested that a good place to go would be Millennium Park…so I hopped on a bus.

As I approached the ‘Bean’, (officially known as Cloud Gate) housed within Millennium Park, I could see how the city’s famous skyline was reflected in the stainless steel.

Giraffe, Lincoln Park Zoo
This sculpture, by British artist Anish Kappor, was inspired by liquid Mercury and is among the largest of its kind in the world, measuring 66-feet long by 33-feet high. The archway in the middle lets you walk in and see yourself reflected in weird and wonderful perspectives • kind of like the crazy mirrors in amusement parks.

The last thing I had time to see was Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park which is pretty impressive! There were many wedding groups there: apparently a hot site for post-wedding photographs. I must say, all these parks seemed very romantic...many couples were enjoying picnics in the parks, lapping up the sunshine!

Having had a lovely day, I walked back to Washington Blue Line station, a little sun burnt on my nose, and picked up a Jamba Juice energy boost fruit smoothie. My legs needed it after all that walking!

As I took the hour long journey back to Cumberland, I thought about what a fantastic day it had been. I hope all my Saturdays from now on are this inspiring…

katehardman says:
Hi Charlotte – I hope I will have time! It would be lovely to catch up with you and some of the others from Erasmus whilst I’m here. Take care,
Kate
Posted on: May 09, 2006
charlotte says:
Hi! Kate:
Seems that you are pretty much adapt to the new life in Chicago!It is very nice to see your travel blog when I am trapped in my office cube! Don't forget to visit Boston is you have time.

Charlotte
Posted on: May 09, 2006
The Bean; Millennium Park
The 'Bean'; Millennium Park
Lincoln Park Conservatory
Lincoln Park Conservatory
My reflection in the Bean; Millenn…
My reflection in the Bean; Millen…
The Bean; Millenium Park