A day in DC

Washington Travel Blog

Tanja at the White House

I had talked with Tanja(tatanasova) for a couple of years now, and really wanted to meet, to hear more about Macedonia.

A few previous attempts to meet up in DC and Lima fell through, due to me being busy.   I was determined to make it work this time.

I flew from Indianapolis to Washington DC, via Detroit, on a Delta Airbus 320 and a Delta Connection EMB-170.  Both flights were smooth and routine, and I arrived into DC at around 10:15am.  I purchased a daypass for the metro and headed out on the blue line to McPherson Square, where we would meet up.  It was looking to be a good day, although it also looked like we could get rain.

We walked over to the White House and took some photos, and then walked over to the National Mall, where most of the  monuments are located.

Tanja(Tatanasova)and I
   The elevator to the top of the Washington Monument is closed, but I knew of another decent vantage point, called the Old Post Office, so we headed over there next.  We did not have to wait long to get the elevator to the top of the Old Post Office bell tower, and had some wonderful views up there!  It is run by the National Park Service, and is free to go up.   I highly recommend this little known place!

We were thinking of getting lunch at Union Station, but just decided to stay at the Old Post Office, where they have a pretty good ethnic food court.  We chose to eat Lebanese.  Tanja ordered a yummy vegetarian plate, and I had the chicken shawarma.  We also had some delicious baklava for dessert!.

When we were ready to leave, we saw that it was now raining hard, so we stayed there about 10 minutes until it stopped.

White House
  After, we walked over to the Mall again and went to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.   We spent well over an hour there, looking at all the exhibits.   At about 4pm or so, we walked over to the L'Enfant Plaza metro station and took the yellow line to the Pentagon.  We were going to go and visit the 9/11 Memorial, however, when we arrived, it was a heavy downpour.  It is a pretty good walk from the metro so we did not go out.   Oh well, next time!

So, it was back down to the metro, where we rode it one station over to Pentagon City, where you exit into a huge shopping center.  We grabbed some beverages at a Starbucks and sat around chatting for a bit.  I really enjoyed hearing about her life, and her country, and am looking forward to visiting there now!   I had a 7pm flight back home, so close to 6pm, I went back on the metro for the two stop ride to Reagan Airport.

Lincoln Memorial
  When I arrived, it was a madhouse.  There had been heavy rain a lot of the day, and many flights were delayed or even cancelled.  I sort of doubted whether I would get home that evening.   I was listed for a DCA-Atlanta-Indianapolis flight.  It had lots of seats, but it was running close to an hour behind.  I saw a DCA-Detroit flight that I could get on, however, the Detroit to Indianapolis did not have many open seats so I did not really want to chance it.  My original flight to Atlanta made up some time and it actually looked like I would be fine.  It was a Delta 757-200 to Atlanta, and when we arrived, I did have a decent amount of time to connect.  My last flight was a Delta MD-88, and I had a very interesting man seated behind me, lol!   He was very loud and animated, while he seemed to tell his whole life story.
Washington Monument
  A lot of us were just laughing and eating it all up.  A few thought he was drunk, but I do not think so.  It is just the way he is.  I will not forget that.

I finally got home at around midnight and was so tired.   It was a fun day and I really enjoyed meeting Tanja.  I look forward to when my family can meet her too!

Thanks for reading.

vulindlela says:
I hope so too, Richard!
gimpel says:
Great to read that you will fly through the states for TB friends.. hope to meet you there sometimes.
Vikram says:
Always great to meet a fellow TB!
Old Post Office tower
Old Post Office tower
Tanja and the Capitol
Tanja and the Capitol
Old Post Office
Old Post Office
FBI Building
FBI Building
Tanja inside the Old Post Office b…
Tanja inside the Old Post Office …