Home away from Home

Kitzingen Travel Blog

Just east, and up the valley from Wurzburg, is the sleepy town of Kitzingen. It's home to an American Army base, where my sister and her family live. The little town of Kitzingen is small and charming. The Base is separated from the town by a massive stone wall. I'm amazed, and a little disappointed, as we pass through the Base entrance, to find a little American colony in the middle of Germany. Rows of dorm style apartment blocks, playgrounds for the kids... not too extraordinary. But then, you're shocked to see a Burger King, Bowling Alley, and an Avis car rental agency! Everyone is military and American, so no-one speaks German, and everything for sale is purchased in good old American Dollars! This is not the Germany I was expecting, but it's familiar, as long as you stay inside the Base perimiters. But I want to see the REAL Germany, so I persuade Tracie to take me shopping in downtown Kitzingen. We bought some dark rye bread, some smelly knockwurst, fresh cheese (Kasse) and some Kirschwasser (strong, cherry flavored vodka) at the local grocery. Remember to bring your own bag when shopping in Germany for groceries! We learn quickly that they're not going to ask if you want "paper or plastic"! (Buy a string sack, like the locals, and carry it with you!)
photo by: TracieBoykin