Viejo San Juan

Old San Juan Travel Blog

Brightly colored buildings line the streets of Viejo San Juan
The next day we drove about 2 hours to Viejo San Juan. Recommendation: YOU DO NOT NEED A CAR while in Viejo San Juan. Everything is in walking distance and if you want to go to the beaches, take a taxi. We paid around $20 per day to park our unused car (in addition to the daily rental rate) in a parking garage. And traffic in the city gets bad considering there are narrow one-way streets. Later that evening my sister and I then met up with a friend who flew into San Juan. We spent the first night at the Fortaleza guesthouse in a room with one interior window and no air conditioing - it was HOT! Needless to say, that was our only night there! We went out salsa dancing (I am no good at all!) at the Nuyorican Cafe - a happening club with live music almost every night. The next day we wandered the narrow cobblestone streets of Old San Juan.
Love the architecture!
It is a beautiful city with lots of history. It is also an expensive city -- not recommended for the extreme budget traveller. The next night we ended up bartering with the owner of the Guest House Old San Juan for a balcony room overloking Calle Tanca just off "So Fo" in the center of town for a room for $57 per night for 3, not too bad considering our awesome location. "So Fo" (I love saying that) is the trendy area of Old San Juan on South Fortaleza street. This is filled with high-end restaurants, shops, and bars. It is definately a party city and this is where everybody comes on the weekends. All in all, Old San Juan is well worth a stop even if you go a little over budget!
eglp says:
I like SoFo you an eat very well there. As you said it can be expensive but once in while it is good.
Posted on: Jan 16, 2008
vances says:
Couldn't agree more about the traffic...having a car is a handicap there, lol!
Posted on: Jan 11, 2008
cabotono says:
Pretty GOOD!
Posted on: Aug 17, 2007
Brightly colored buildings line th…
Brightly colored buildings line t…
Sunset from our balcony
Sunset from our balcony
Old San Juan Hostels review
One of few budget hotels in Viejo San Juan AND has the BEST location!
In Puerto Rico you will quickly learn there are no hostels and few cheap places to stay. Luckily we found this "gem" right in downtown Old San Juan. I… read entire review
Old San Juan