Save a horse, ride a donkey!

Santorini Travel Blog

Everyone should take the donkey ride to the top of Santorini. There are approximately 300 donkeys on the trail which is a series of wide steps and switchbacks along the cliff overlooking the beautiful surrounding water.  I had a exciting ride to the top aboard my donkey!  Once I climbed upon the animal, which fortunately was equipped with a sattle, my donkey immediately took off!  I didn't even have a chance to put my feet in the stirrups. The animal must have been part thoroughbred. I'm a fast walker but this donkey was breaking record speeds as it assended the hundreds of steps to the top. If there were other donkeys in the way, my donkey just pushed it's way between them and kept on going.  I felt like I had to apologize to the other riders that we pushed out of our way.  The donkey would occasionally dodge other donkeys that were not keeping the same pace by re-routing us against the rock wall on the inside or providing me an upclose view of the cliff overlooking the water on the outside prompting me to stick out my foot to keep from scraping the wall.  This donkey was determined and did not stop until it got to the top!  I had no choice but put my faith in the donkey's skills and abilities.  It clearly had practiced this trip before and knew the routine!  Despite my trepidation, it was a memorable experience and I would do it all over again.

LivLovLaf says:
I saw the donkeys walking through the streets of Santorini with their handlers. What a fun sight! You actually rode one! Great story!
Posted on: Oct 29, 2017
Africancrab says:
Nice entry, thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Aug 07, 2012