Celebrating Frida Kahlo

Mexico City Travel Blog

Casa Azul, Coyoacan

This year commemorates the 100th anniversary of Frida Kahlo's birth and Mexico City did a wonderful job in celebrating her life and work.  On my first day, I visited Casa Azul (Blue House) in Coyoacan, a charming suburb of Mexico City.  It was a very special visit for me because this was the house she was born in and also died in.  Casa Azul also exhibited never before seen paintings, drawings, books, clothing and documents that belonged to Frida, revealing her intelligence and curiosities.  For lunch, we stopped by the local market where they had many vendors selling crafts, souvenir and most importantly authentic Mexican food.

Palacio Nacional, Diego Rivera mural
  We had carnitas after carnitas with an array of salsas... oh, and can't forget the cold Sol beer that went perfectly with the carnitas and loud music playing from the vendors.

The next day, I visited Bella Artes, a museum in the Centro Historico area.  It was a superb exhibit which included 75% of her paintings collected from various museums, institutions and private collectors from around the world.  My most memorable piece was "The Two Fridas".  What an experience it was for me to stand in front of one of my most favorite paintings and to be able to, in a sense, meet  Frida, actually two Fridas.  The paintings represents so much to me, the pain that she endured, the strength and intelligence that she possessed.  It was a dream come true type of exhibit for me for it brought me much happiness yet it was heartbreaking at the same time for I can truly feel her pain, emotions, her happiness and brilliance through her paintings and I know that all the fans in the museum that day felt the same.

Mexico City was definitely an unforgettable destination and I can't wait to go back.  The culture, history, people, food, architecture and excitement are contagious and I would definitely recommend a visit to everyone...  Viva la Frida!

AndiPerullo says:
Beautifully written blog and I couldn't agree more with what you wrote about Frida. She is such a icon for me. I can't wait to see everything you wrote about in person in 2 months. Viva Frida!!!
Posted on: Jan 12, 2008
jenn79 says:
What a great blog! It's so funny, a few friends and I have practically the same itinerary planned for Feb. We're staying at Condesa and then going to visit the Diego Rivera mural and the Frida museums. Did you like the Condesa by the way? How did you get around transportation-wise?
Posted on: Dec 14, 2007
boicot says:
¡Viva MÉXICO!
Posted on: Nov 14, 2007
Casa Azul, Coyoacan
Palacio Nacional, Diego Rivera mur…
Palacio Nacional, Diego Rivera mu…
Diego Rivera mural
Condesa DF hotel patio
Condesa DF hotel
Condesa DF hotel
Casa Azul
Coyoacan... time to grub!
Coyoacan... time to grub!
Panaderia