St. Petri and Kontorhausviertel

Hamburg Travel Blog

Another warm and sunny day began when I started my tour around Hamburg. Okay, the day probably already began before my tour started, but that just sounds so much better. Well, I went to St. Petri church where I climbed the 550 stairs up the tower and I was so exhausted. All the way up while it got warmer and warmer I was thinking about the fresh air I could breath once I was on the top. And when I reached the top of the tower, no fresh air at all. There were only bull-eyes and no open windows or anything like that. It was so hot and stuffy up there and after I took a picture of two fellow Austrians I hurried downstairs just slow enough I wouldn’t fall and I enjoyed the cooler air with every step downwards.

After this experience I walked to the Kontorhausviertel with the typical Klinkerhouses of Hamburg.

It was nice to see but since my knees were still weak I paused by the river at Meßberg from where I saw the Speichercity again.

My next stop was the main station to change my week ticket for 3 zones into 4 zones and then I walked from the main station through Lange Reihe, a really nice street with many shops of all kinds. According to my travel guide book this street is also the center of Hamburg’s gay community, but I only saw one gay couple so I don’t know if that’s true J.

I then walked down to the Alster where I sat down at the water for a while before I started the long way back to Jungfernstieg where I enjoyed a Starbucks muffin and went home early as I was still tired from my tower experience.

Sprinkenhof, used to be the larges…
Sprinkenhof, used to be the large…
central station