Dive Day #2: Seymour and Daphne Minor

Puerto Ayora Travel Blog

Dive day number two started at 7am at Scuba Iguana.  Today we had to drive across Santa Cruz island back to the port and get in a boat.  45 minutes taxi.  Then the boat ride out Seymour Island.

We had some random people on the boat that day, including a guy named Glenn from the US working in Lima, Peru.  A German couple.  And this lady who was the worst scuba diver I've ever seen.  I guess they let anyone get certified in Brazil...*rolls eyes*

Dive #3: Seymour
Depth: 90 feet max, typically at around 50

This dive had a lot of sea lions too.  Down in the depths there were lots of fish on the coral reef and lots of fish mean lots of sharks.  Apparently there were a few hammerheads, but I missed them.  Bummer!!!
The funniest part of the whole dive was with this sea lion (go figure).  It was watching me and we made eye contact but as it swam by, it ran straight into a giant coral.  Gotta watch where you're going and not at the scuba divers!  It was pretty funny!

Dive #4: Daphne Minor
Depth: 75 feet

This dive was on an island that you can see to the west from the Airport in Baltra.  It looks like a muffin sticking out of the water and thats really the only way I can describe it.

So the dive is on a wall, the island sticks straight out of the water and the wall goes down about 200 feet into the depths below.  Crystal clear water and tons of marine life on this wall.  This was one of those dives where you look in all the cracks to see whats hiding inside.  There were several moray eels, lots of random tiny fish, and the biggest lobster I've ever seen in my life!  My dive master saw something he had never seen before and was really excited about it.  So, I got to see an extrememly rare fish (we ID'ed it in the galapagos fish guide) that lives among the spiny barbs of the extremely poisonous black sea urchin.  Pretty cool.
Puerto Ayora