Our Asian Adventure (Vietnam & Singapore)

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Blog

We started off in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), the traffic was the craziest I've seen anywhere with motorbikes zig-zagging through the streets and a constant symphony of horns and bells being sounded....crossing the road was a challenge that we managed to master in the first day - the advice we were given - "Just walk, don't stop - they'll go around you"!  We visited Ben Thanh market and got some work suits tailor made (they delivered them to our hotel the next day!) On our last full day in Saigon we organised a private tour to the Mekong Delta. Our lunch was traditional Vietnamese food - Ash and I were brave enough to try a couple of the dishes, however there were a few unidentified objects that we steered clear of!
Our next stop was a smaller (and less chaotic) town set in the Southern Highlands - Dalat.
We only spent a couple of days there, and I loved it. The landscape was so different to Saigon and we enjoyed being in a more rural setting. Highlights of Dalat included a cable car ride across to a peaceful Pagoda (temple), Prenn Waterfall, the Flower Gardens and visiting a small rural village of the (don't laugh) "Chicken Minority People".
We flew up the coast to our next destination, Hoi An which was our favourite part of the trip. Hoi An is a very historically significant area with parts of the "Old Town" dating back to the 15th Century and the World Heritage listed My Son ancient ruins dating back to the 4th Century. We stayed at a beautiful resort on the beach and got around most of the time on the back of local taxi motorbikes which was quite fun! The ancient ruins of My Son were spectular. We headed off early to avoid the crowds of tour buses and enjoy the amazing site.
Finally we reached Hanoi, our final stop on the Vietnam leg of our trip. Hanoi was as busy as Saigon - lots of crazy traffic and noise. My favourite part of Hanoi was the Temple of Literature - a beautiful sanctuary within the city. Another highlight was a day cruise around Halong Bay. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great, but at least it didn't rain.
Our 5 day stop over in Singapore on the way home was the relaxing break we needed after trying to do and see everything in Vietnam. We did a bit of shopping, visited the beautiful botanic gardens and as a special birthday treat for Ash, there happened to be some type of Star Wars convention happening when we visited the Merlion - the pictures say it all!
newtampo says:
Hanoi's really crazy. Hope to go back to Hoi An someday. It's nice, right? :)
Posted on: Jul 25, 2007