EuropeFranceLyon

Lyon - Susi's Birthday

Lyon Travel Blog

It occurs to me that despite my gloomy description of French partying, my sister and I did have quite a fun time our first night in Lyon, on the eve of her 25th birthday.  Being strangers in town and having arrived at 10 in the evening, we made for the one place I'd found on the internet: Ayers Rock Pub.  It was in walking distance from our very sweet hotel (art nouveau, complete with red carpets and old school iron work lift).  Eventually, after several panicked examinations of our map, we did locate the place, a typical Aussie pub with the requisite morons rugby tackling each other at the bar, a tape of old Aussie Rules games stuck on replay on the tvs overhead, and weary travelers like us in search of a pint of cider.  We ended up drinking cocktails aptly named 'All Blacks' and got served by a nutty exhibitionist of a young French barman, Mattieu, whose birthday just happened, by an amazing case of serendipity, coincide with my sister's.  Soon enough, the free drinks were flying, the lamps were flying, Scotmen were getting jiggy on the tables, and when the place closed, Mattieu invited everyone from the bar to a nightclub to celebrate with him.

The evening at Ayers Rock had a wonderful sense of spontaneity missing from all the consequent evenings spent there, nor where the bartenders nearly as nice or charitable again, but it was worth one loopy night :)

Lyon