EuropeFranceLyon

Lyon - All Blacks vs. Portugal

Lyon Travel Blog

Alright, so the outcome of this game was never going to be a shocker :-)

The lead up to the game was wonderful with the enthusiasm of the Portuguese fans enciting the usually tempered Kiwis to be a little more boisterous themselves.  Again, outside the Stade Gerland, the burgers were grilling, the flags waving, the band playing, the fans dancing, the unsuspecting foreigners getting tanked on fake beer...Why Heineken decided that this would be a good event to officially sponsor is beyond me.  Anyway, as it turned out, my media pass didn't get me a media seat for the game, but my sister got to be one of the photographers on the sidelines, which was still pretty damn cool.  So i bought myself a ticket and ended up second row from the field, right next to the technical area.

I probably got to see much more from there than if I'd sat up in the media box.  All in all a great time!  After the game, the boys even gave us the pleasure of putting on an impromptu soccer game.  Richie McCaw should stick to rugby :)

On the way out we ran into Dallas and the boys from the previous night.  They were in black dress shirts and ties, cleaning up quite well.  All except for Dallas, who was in usual fashion, passed out on the floor.

Spent the last hours in our Aussie Pub, drinking one last All Black, but alas, we had to be off at six in the morning for Milan, so round midnight, we headed back to our hostel and bid adieu to our first World Cup experience.

Since my return to Miami, the All Blacks have been eliminated.  18 to 20 loss against France in the quarter finals, their worst finish ever and a horrendous shock to me, an entire rugby-loving island nation, and the marketing team at Adidas.  As devastated as I am by this outcome, I'm infinitely glad to have been part of the tournament when everything was all roses and the world our oyster.  Now for the old if tired saying: four more years...

Oh the joy!