Lyon - All Blacks Arrive

Lyon Travel Blog

Still utterly sick that day.  Since we're poor, we had to switch from our lovely little hotel in the city center to a hostel, which we'd always planned but which that day I was loathed to do, because it's one thing to be congested and feverish in private, and quite another in front of six strangers.  And then carting all our crap halfway across town, when I didn't even want to move...let's just say, the day had the air of uneventfulness...

To console myself, I went to see the hotel where the All Blacks would be staying.  Not that we'd see anything.  There were armoured guards at the door already.  I don't know what I was thinking I'd do.  I knew there would be a press conference later that night with the team manager, but there's hardly be a chance the boys would just be lingering around the lobby.

It wasn't that great of a hotel.  But then just when it seemed my excursion would come to nothing, we realized that there was something going on around the train station right behind the hotel.  It was cordonned off.  And wouldn't you know it, the All Blacks, as well as the US team, where arriving there within the hour.

In the end, media pass in hand, we got to sit right at the entrance, watching all the players arrive!  We took photos like mad, naturally...

Not a bad day.  Unfortunately, I was feeling too beat to go to the press conference a couple hours later.  Maybe I'd seen more of the team then, who knows, but for the moment, I was quite satisfied and incredibly star-struck :)

photo by: spocklogic