Chaco Canyon and on to Cortez

Nageezi Travel Blog

Chaco Canyon
Drove a bunch of dirt roads to Chaco Canyon National Park.  It is a major commitment to get there as there are no paved roads, no services, and no nearby towns.  It is well worth it if you are interested in the history of the Anasazi, now called the Ancestral Puebloans. Since it was the Fourth of July, I dressed to celebrate the day in a star-spangled dress.  I was the only person we saw that was dressed in recognition of our nation's birthday, which was disappointing.  I also wore star bead necklaces which I later regretted when the heat caused them to melt a bit and make tattoo marks on my neck and chest.  :) When it hit 107 and we had been walking around in the heat for 2 hours, my mom and I had hit our limit and had to head back to the air-conditioned car. We drank SOOOO much water too, but man, was it hot! We left there just ahead of a thunderstorm, which wreaked havoc on the dirt roads, but we got out just in time.  We also visted Aztec National Park (a misnomer since it is also an Anasazi site).  This place has a resored kiva that you can go in and see how things might have been 800 years ago. Then we headed on to Cortez, CO...gateway to Mesa Verde.
In the Pueblo Bonito