'Tracy Diaries' Part 9
McLeod Ganj Travel Blog› entry 42 of 130 › view all entries
I tried to meditate as much of last night as I could in the âlying poseâ, with âmonkey mindâ and the sore throat that kept me awake.
I recall being awake at the sounding of the 1st bells, 0415hrs. I was too tired, though awake, to get out of bed. My 1st negative thought of the day was disappointment in not wanting to do anything at all as I lay in bed till it was light.
The âreward listâ looks good on paper. 2nd negative thought of the day was whilst looking at the reward list thinking, âBut I donât really fancy breakfast, what now, where is the self motivation?â Maybe if I had stayed awake from 0415hrs I would be hungry by now and want to achieve something off the list for a reward! J
Its 0841hrs. I thought I had a good motivator to get out of the apartment, get a newspaper! Nope! Meditation is more important and I certainly do not want to be distracted by news in my mind! I was automatically looking for a distraction.
Sensible mind Vs Destructive mind. Wise vs Wayward. Positive Vs Negative. A battle at hand with âMaraâ. âOh the Deeemons!â as Big Brothers gay winner Brian would say (running around the room with hands waving in the air).
I think of a positive and negative mind as being like a rechargeable battery. Some of it is filled with negative energy, some positive energy. The more positive energy, the less negative and so forth.
The time to ârechargeâ is the time to meditate!
I shower, dress, take Koi outside and meditate before setting out for breakfast.I reflect and reiterate to âthe mindâ that I call âmyselfâ,that this mind must be sorted out before it can help others. This mind needs to let go of its âselfâ.
- Whatever anyone does or says has an impact on others around, whether it is positive or negative. This causes chain reactions, like a domino effect, no matter how minute, the repercussions, consequences or âeffectsâ can be much larger. We all have an impact on everyone we meet. What size an impact cannot be fathomed; this is why we need to be so careful. Someone is taking notice of what we do, people react to what we do in many ways, and we leave our imprint, whatever the size.
- Unless mindfulness is practised, how can anyone begin to understand what effect we have, on everything around us? Do you remember that saying about a butterfly flapping its wings, and a tidal wave on the other side of the world? Well, I am not sure if that can happen, but it is certainly a simile about âcause and effectâ.
- I believe it is imperative that humans live in peace and harmony with all other beings and nature itself. With ignorant humansâ intent on destruction, how can our species expect to survive healthily?
- I also believe that laws of lands and valid religions were âcreatedâ to keep peace and harmony amongst all.
- Going back to âcause and effectâ, if one drop of ink in the ocean changes the oceans colour, the ocean is no longer the same, it has changed. It has made a difference. So let no one tell you âhow can I make a difference?â Each one of us, like I said before, leaves an impression, creates an effect, on others. We are all important. We can all make a difference, each one of us.
- When âgoodâ like minded people come together. It makes such a special impact, to make a difference. Everyone has the potential to make such a big difference. Our own motivation and wisdom make bigger changes possible.
- Have you ever been in someoneâs company that has made you feel like you want to do more to help others, from your heart with no reward or gain? Some people may think they have nothing to offer or give. Even if we have no material possessions, we can still offer our help (body) or our knowledge (mind).
- Some people can make you feel genuinely âgoodâ, not about yourself or your status, but good like a âsaintâ, giving you good thoughts and intentions. If you have never met anyone like this, maybe you are keeping the wrong sort of company! However, you are wise to keep company with this sort of person.
It was raining heavily so I put on the waterproofs and headed out for breakfast. I enquired about an Ayurvedic course and went on the internet for two hours. Back to the apartment,took Koi outside and requested vegetable momos.
I missed out on the appointment at the Ayurvedic class, I was on the internet. I had gargled with Dettol this morning but still have a bad throat. Swollen and red on the in-sides.
Did you know that Septmember is PEACEKEEPING SEASON on BBC World? bbcnews.com
Confusion:Everyone can teach me something! So everyone is my teacher,are thay not? But of course, some teachers are better at teaching some aspects of life than others so we need to be careful of whom we take advice from!
Read 37 practices of a Bodhisattva
Drank tea and ate 7 biscuits
Took Koi upstairs
Got head re-shaved R40
Bought cookie R15
2 x Books on Buddhism R245
Left note for Dorjee
Purse and bowl R70
Diet coke R30
I now owe a trip to the museum and the library due to buying two books(rewards) without first doing the tasks.
I feel bloated (must be the coke-well, it canât be the 20 pringles,10 momos,7 biscuits and the cookie, can it?)
I purchased the bowl to encourage only eating that amount sufficient to survive, so as not to overeat. With hands cupped together,âthis muchâ should suffice two times a day whilst meditating. (Tried and tested showing optimum health!)
1530hrs. The nuns are noisily bedating in the grounds of the nunnery.
1830hrs.Same again. Just after the bell rang , you can hear them debating. It was reminiscent of playtime at school! Maybe I should get some ear plugs! Then came more distractions,car alarms,children crying,horns honking,motorbikes revving past,men shouting,dogs barking,cows mooing,the hammering of a local repair,someone attempting to play a flute, someone trying to play the diggery doo (Oh yes!), the local stream that varies in sound from a soft shimmering trickle to a torrential downpour, not to mention the nuns debating and the thumping disco music of the night. All sent to try us! But it doesnât take long for the mind to be absorbed in an effort to remain undisturbed by it all.
I went to try to speak with Dorjee. The mozzies are prevalent around his door at this time of day. I go straight back to the apartment to read.
This mind is learning, from this book, about how to regard our enemies, teachers and friendsâŚ
Ă âExperience in the fruit of our actionâ