The 'Tracy' Diaries Part 30

Dharamshala Travel Blog

TLC, Dharamsala, India.

Attended class. Spoke with Why-Why and Julie. Julie asked about the puppy. As I was informing Julie the person next to her (someone I’ve never spoken to or met before) told me straight off, " You shouldn’t be giving a puppy Ivermectin! " I was stuck for words but the word ignorant came to my mind as I tried to remain calm and continued to explain to Julie how things were going. Julie continued to be helpful and informative to me about a possible lady who may be able to take the pup on if I am stuck for a good home. This was good news.

The lesson in class was (as usual for a Monday about meditation subjects) about generating compassion as it is at the root of happiness and how self centredness and a misconception of the ‘self’ are at the root of all our problems (they produce anger,hatred,envy,ignorance).

Grrrrrr. (lion impression) mmm
Geshe La also explained how we are controlled by our minds, dominated by it due to ‘disturbed emotions’, how we need to keep our minds ‘constructive’ (rather than destructive).

The stronger our compassion, the more happy we will be! But we need to train our mind and practice compassion, rather than just wishing for it! One way of generating compassion is to think of others, their present condition (because most people are suffering in varying degrees) and all the ways in which they are suffering (not to compare ourselves to them • on the contrary • this method is to ‘feel’ for them as if we were in their shoes ). This practice helps us feel more intouch with others so we are more able to help them with physical,verbal,material or spiritual help, and ways of helping that are better for the person on the long run.

Party time!

For example, a beggar on the street : Giving them money, will actually increase their suffering. Why? It’s like a doctor giving skin cream for someone with a mental illness which has a side effect of a rash, it is not treating the real problem. Giving a beggar money stimulates a desire, an attachment and only brings more suffering. Yes, it may be a short term relief, but again, not treating the main problem. If instead, you were to help that beggar see that his/her ‘wanting’ is the cause of their unhappiness,(yes, it has to be in a way they can accept) it would benefit them in the long term, and they will be able to be happier, long term.

This is why ‘giving’ is such a good thing to do. We could ‘give’, by spending enough time with that beggar to ‘help’ them realise where true happiness lies; in not being self orientated. To ‘Give’ (help, NOT just materials) truly is to receive (happiness)!

It has been lashing down with rain and thunderstorms all afternoon. So I made use of the heavy spray and scrubbed the algae off the slippery path outside.

• Koi and puppy are doing well. Rita noted how ‘well’ puppy was looking and that she was ‘surprised’.
  • My throat glands are playing up tonight, wonder if it has anything to do with the amount of rain!!!
  • Took some photos of puppy after I’d given her a belly bed-bath.
  • Had an English chat with Tibetan monk ‘Ogen’ . Why-Why asked me last week if I’d spend some time with some of her students to practice speaking English.
    • Ogen is a senior monk at the Tibetan monastery in Spitti, India. He ordained at the age of 14 twenty years ago. The monastery is over 1000 years old and gaining in popularity with tourists. So Ogen is to learn English so he can guide people around the monastery.

I’’m tired, cold, miserable so I’d best get to bed.

Dharamshala