The journey from Atilan to Coban

Coban Travel Blog

Early morning... FYI Lisa LOVES early mornings (ha ha, not at all !!!)

We got up and caught the 6.30am launch to Pana (took about 40minutes, 10Q each). We were not sure about the best way to get to Coban and finally after searching out options for a couple HOURS we decided to just hop on a Chicken Bus to Guatemala City and then from there take a more private/charter ^pullman^ bus to Coban and figure out how to get to Lankin/Semuc Champe. At the bus station (when I say bus station I mean corner on the street where crazy painted buses fly up with little notice and a man in a yellow shirt yells the destination anywhere between 5-25 times before the bus speeds off... its funny to watch!) we met some really nice people... Danielle from Pennsylvania who is living in Santiago and volunteering at a medical clinic, Elaine and Jessica who are doing the same.

So this is our first ^Chicken Bus^ experience... the driver just hauls ass while his partner in crime/ assistant  hangs out the window and yells, climbs on the roof to get luggage and pretty much runs the show. These buses are just old school buses that would never be allowed to even enter the US let alone operate on a freeway and in no way could carry children to school!!

We got to know our new friends and watch as our driver passed large trucks/ cars around blind corners on mountain roads... we were tired but it´s kind of hard to sleep when this is going on! So we just listened to our ipod and read about where we were headed next... Coban, Lankin and Semuc!

Pana to Guatemala City - 4.5 hrs on chicken bus
Taxi from Zone 1 bus depot to Private bus - 20 minutes in ghetto!
Bus terminal to Coban (pvt bus was actually pretty comfy) - 4 hrs watching the movie RV

Getting to Coban to late in the evening to take the shuttle to Lankin and having to spend the night and party it up at a random (bus very tasty and fun) restaurant with a local that showed it to us and then get up at 4am to take the shuttle we missed....PRICELESS!

So dinner was amazing (first time I saw pitchers of beer in Guate so I decided to drink a whole one by myself... SOOO good) The seafood paiea was amazing and HUGE so Elaine, Lisa and I split it!

We had another early shuttle to Lankin... (5am departure) so we headed to bed pretty early.

photo by: chunfucius