Whitewater Rafting

Lanquin Travel Blog

So like I said earlier, we signed up to go rafting and today is the day... there were not enough people for 2 boats so Danielle could not join us but she will be heading East with us in the morning so we can find other fun things to do together in Lake Isabel and Rio Dulce.

Breakfast was sooo good, some french toast and fruit with honey, yogurt, granola and of course coffee!!

The drive to the put in was only about 20 minutes, but of course in Guatemalan style we were in the bed of a pick up truck on yet another rocky road. Our group was two Aussie's, and two other guys from Holland and Canada, Lisa and me. Our guide Simon was hilarious. He has been here for about 11 months working as a guide on the river and has been all over, rafting on the Zambize in Africa and many places in Europe.

We started out by carrying the raft over a bridge to our put in and then had a safety lesson before heading out. The first few rapids were pretty mellow and we practiced working as a team...  then practiced a man over drill, it ended up being 2 men overboard and I lost one of my shoes. Oh well, it was nice to take a dip because its SO hot and humid!

The first large rapid was "Rock and Roll", class 4+ followed by "and then" 3+. The "and then" rapid was named because the first rafting company to run the river scouted Rock and Roll "and then" - went around the bend right into the second rapid right away! We got out, scouted the rapid and went for it... we ended up with what Simon referred to as plan A, versus B, C or my favorite, save yourself... if we would have flipped. The next couple of hours were more mellow, some fun class 2 and 3 rapids.

Lunch was tasty... typical Guatemalan fare, tortillas, beans, rice, veggies, HOT salsa, etc...
After lunch we messed around in and out of the boat as we finished our last hour on the river and all floated through the last rapid in a "chain" of sorts.... most of us were able to lock ankles over the next persons shoulders to form the chain.

All the way down the river we saw locals looking at us with a half excited, half perplexed look on their faces... I'm sure most of them were thinking "loco gringos"!!!

The ride in the back was a lot of fun... took about an hour and I got to hear some cool stories about Simons travel and life in Australia (I need to get down there...)

That night the sky opened up and we were treated to an amazing lighting show and buckets of rain all through another amazing family style dinner at El Retrio.
Since we first arrived in Lanquin we have been trying to figure out the best way to head East to Lake Isbel and Rio Dulce... meeting other travellers we were able to put together a group of 9 people headed in the same direction. So Lisa and I arranged for a private shuttle bus - 100Q each for the 4.5 hour journey over dirt roads to El Estor... more to come soon about that adventure but now were off to happy hour...

J and L
bluepaintislove says:
Uh, so you two haven't posted anything in like a week...I'm not saying I'm worrying...uh...come back? Also, yeah, there isn't an also, just I want Lisa back :-( She better not have rolled into a volcano or anything.
Posted on: Aug 02, 2007