Week 2 of classes

Geneva Travel Blog

Finally a good picture of Jeremy!!
My I'm really starting to wear out. I go to class from 9-1pm, sometimes I have excursions that last until 8pm, and then I rush off to work, only to be compelled to join an evening bar/dinner visit that usually lasts until 1am. Well, at least I'm getting used to not being able eat anything after 8pm.. jeez!

But I am still really loving the program. I'd really like to go back next year and finish up, but that's barring any program that is a bit more within my fields of interest: economic development, microfinance, generally stuff that is a bit more hands on.

I'm going to take some time to crow about our program directors though. They are freaking AMAZING. Every single little aspect of them. They're kind, they're thoughtful, they're absolutely brilliant, and they have connections up the wazoo.
The ever-photogenic Simon
After visiting the Mexico mission today, I found out we were able to secure this meeting simply because Simon knew the Ambassador - like are you serious?! Like I don't already have enough reasons to be infatuated with this guy..

But here are some pictures of this morning before I snuck out to go to work. But I think a quick nap is in order first..

*in the evening*

It is getting increasingly harder to balance things as work piles up and social obligations have to held at arm's length. UGH! But the good news is that 1) I got a laundry card so I can do my laundry =) Thank goodness, as although I thought I packed enough for 2 weeks, the evening excursions and varying temperatures has made me go through them relatively quickly. I mean, when I got here it was 80, next 2 days it was 65, and then this weekend it was 90+! and 2) I got my apt extended until Sunday, which means I can concentrate on writing papers and move my stuff over to the hotel a day late.
USDA representative
I am NOT looking forward to going to the Nash Rex. It's supposed to be "4 stars" but I have a feeling that's a bit of a stretch of the imagination..

Oh gosh, I messed up a meeting for one of my managers with a Japan economist.. oye am I in trouble.. UGH I hate the administrative portion of my job, no matter how small it is..

**technically the next day**

So it's after midnight and I'm still at the office. I don't mind it so much except for the walk home later by myself. NOT looking forward to that at all... I'm still thrilled to be here, but I'm increasingly frustrated by not being able to do my job fully or participate in the program (with all the social aspects) fully. I'll either have to decide to stop feeling guilty, or do better coordination next time.
At the Mexican WTO Mission

URGH. So now it's almost 1am.. I'm so annoyed that whenever I get an email through LotusNotes, I find myself sayign aloud in the empty office "What?! what do you want now?! What could you POSSIBLY NEED on top of everything today?!?!" Hahaaa.. I'm seriously losing it..

Ok, being chastized by boss to go home, I feel all warm and fuzzy now.. so going to end here. Times like this I really just appreciate the hell out of my company. Everyone's so freaking bright on so many levels and there's totally this "can do" mentality, even if it's exhausting sometimes. To see something work that well, it's just totally worth it. I've never been in such a big company and felt like it was a teeny weeny company where everyone was reliable. They're just so on point with so many things - and everything is predictable in that "it'll get done correctly" kind of way. It's going to be so hard to leave Capital, whenever that day might be!
AndiPerullo says:
Drink lots of Swiss coffee!!!
Posted on: Jul 17, 2007
Jeremy
Jeremy
Simon and Henry Schmick (USDA)
Simon and Henry Schmick (USDA)
Geneva