Sad to be back

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Me and Jeremy
I miss Geneva dearly. I startle awake and think "ok, gotta catch the 1 bus to Jardin Botanique!" and realize I am no longer in a city with decent public transportation.

Learned a lot on my 2 1/2 week stay there. It was an experience I'll never forget due to the intensity and brilliant company. But because of the extended time I spent with Christine, I also learned incredible lessons on family and love. She's one of those sassy girls from a humongous Polish family and one of the few girls in the extended family. She's one of those girls that just knows exactly how people work and what makes them tick. Being an only child in an asian family, I can't even begin to list the dysfunctions yet incredibly protective and loving environment I come from.
Me by the Lake

I've brought back with me a sense of peace. Things have been awfully stressful at work recently but I just let it roll off my shoulders instead of beating myself up over my pace or making mistakes. Nothing is worth losing years off my life due to stress and craziness. And there's no reason to escalate an already tough situation. And the funny thing is, despite it being really busy, it can't even come close to being as busy as it was in Geneva, as I was literally racing to and from different places. On more than one occassion, people were like "Jennifer, where are you going?!" as I would abruptly start running in the opposite direction of where people were headed and yell back over my shoulder "Don't worry, I'll be back in 2 hours!"

But how I long to sit at the President Wilson and sip on a drink and drag on a cigarette as the lovely poolboys check in on me.
one day..
And how I miss hearing a dozen languages and meeting people who speak a little bit of a dozen languages. And I miss how beautiful, peaceful and nice people are everywhere.

I think I've learned to defend myself a little more. I was obviously very proud and tough in Geneva as I was generally on my own and a bit worried about being in a city of complete strangers without a network to rely on. So I've come back and realized that it's possible to be both kind and fair but also not to be afraid to protect your interests and sanity, and say no to people - even with your family and friends. I've learned a bit about my limits hanging out with Christine.

Until the next journey, and the next batch of realizations that will make me stronger and sounder and all the better.