Nash Rex Hotel and what I've learned...

Geneva Travel Blog

Bathroom with all my crap
I guess all my worry was for nothing. Those web sites were a bit harsh with the critiques. This place is GORGEOUS. It's not 4 seasons but it's like .. the best of everything! The shower is AWESOME, the furnishings and decorations are high class and really beautiful, and the staff was really nice. I feel bad, I was kind of mean to them because I had a small issue when checking in (I checked in 1 day late although I paid for 3 and I called beforehand to see if it was ok). But I had such a bad idea in my head of what they were like that I was not kind about them resolving it - but they are all pretty cool!

Let's list a few of the cool things at this hotel besides the furnishings.. =)

They offer a 24 hour wireless card for 40 francs. Now I know at first that sounds like a lot, but what it is really is 24 hours TOTAL.
Bedroom with all my crap
So like, if you use the internet for like 1 hour, and you stop using it, and then the next day you use another hour, you still have 22 hours left. How cool is that?! Europeans, man..

Second, it is SO QUIET. I lived near the Gare Cornivin in the corporate apartment and there were ALWAYS sirens wailing and people yelling and an occasional car race going on. It's fine considering I barely got any sleep these last two weeks, but if I had WANTED to sleep at 10pm.. it would have been hard.

Third, believe it or not, they have AIR CONDITIONING!!! What the heck?!?! I thought it was illegal in Geneva? but they have it and it is WONDERFUL and I wish I could have checked in yesterday, sort of.
Closet with all my crap =)
Except I was writing my paper..

Fourth they have some awesome amenities in the bathroom. An awesome hand held shower thing that attaches high and not only that, but it moves at different angles! Second, they have this squeezey soap thing attached to the wall - one above the sink and another in the shower containing different soaps. They also provide shower caps, Qtips, cotton balls, and a sewing kit! Ah, and then there is the 5x or whatever round vanity mirror on the wall. Hell I don't even have one of these at home! And they have this dope hair dryer thing that looks more like a vacuum, but it's a good one that you can't possibly burn your hair (or your hand) with that I've never seen before. Pictures coming tomorrow after room service, since I've obviously already messed everything up =)

Lastly, there is a flat screen TV in the room which I haven't turned on because let's face it I barely watch TV at home and haven't even thought of watching TV while I've been here, so.
. =)

**********************

If I had to do it all over again.. there are a few things that I definitely learned. When one participates in any sort of international program, the number of social obligations and invitations seems to increase exponentially as time progresses. So if you're planning on doing any full-day sightseeing - do it BEFORE you make friends! I'm really glad I went to Mont Blanc the first day I arrived because I have been DYING to go on the Gruyeres tour and the Lausanne tour, as they're such beautiful cities, but I find myself with absolutely no time. Tomorrow, my last day, I have a choice between arriving at work at 5am and working until 9am, running to the Gare Routiere and taking the Gruyere tour, coming back at 7pm in time to have dinner with the program directors and Christine, and then going home.
Erinn and Jeremy after workout joining us at President Wilson
OR I could sleep in, stay at my beautiful hotel until afternooon, and go into work for a few hours until dinnertime with the program directors and christine. OR I could sleep until 8, go crash class, run to work at 3pm as usual and work until 8pm when I have dinner with them. Considering it's 12:30am already.. the chances of me waking up at 5pm to go to work are rapidly decreasing..

Second, I've learned that eating is rather.. passe in Switzerland. Although there is plenty of food, most people opt to drink. Many places ONLY serve drink. Grocery stores close late only on Thursdays and everything is closed Sunday, which I was incredibly frustrated with, but in hindsight is a nice bit of culture to adhere to.

Lastly, I feel like everyone makes friends a lot easier in an international setting. I've got a few contacts made in genuine earnest from a few parties, which is really cool considering sometimes we leave high school without really keeping in touch with more than a couple people and there you've just spent YEARS with everyone..

I guess my point is that I've leaving Geneva with quite a bit of inspiration and quite some fondness for the city. If someone told me I'd have to live in Geneva for the next year of my life, I wouldn't bat an eye. In fact, I think I'd be quite pleased with the idea.
Christine by the pool
Erinn and Jeremy after workout joi…
Erinn and Jeremy after workout jo…
Geneva