Crapping out and my visit to the U.N.

Geneva Travel Blog

United Nations
Even though I didn't have school today, it was just one of those days where I could have stared at the wall for hours and been perfectly content because I am SO FRIED. Christine and I had an.. interesting night, and one of our program directors threw us for a loop. So she slept over, washed the dishes and made up her bed before she left early in the AM while I slept in until past 10am. (we got home after 2am).

Went to the U.N. today! It was really gorgeous, but definitely still has a bureacratic feel about it. I think I like the World Bank a lot better and really hope to work there one day. World Bank actually FEELS like our company. Things are really nice, with a bit of a conservative feel and not flashy at all. The lobby is barely anything to look at, but I think it gets more expansive as you go deeper into their office.
United Nations and Flags

But the U.N. was super! The grounds are beautiful, and there is this funny sense of pride although I'm sure the people get paid close to nothing. It really is a struggle - global prestige, or a life more than just feeding, clothing and sheltering yourself? I have no idea what the answer to that is..

People proudly sported their light blue U.N. badge holders from their necks, there was a calmness and sense of authority eminating from all the people that passed us as we were on the tour. We saw tha conference rooms and I wondered which delegate has previously sat in the seat I was sitting in =) That sort of thing.. it was thrilling and informative. I wonder how they survive in those huge conference rooms without air conditioning and so many bodies.
One of the conference rooms

I'm behind on work. I have a paper to write before tomorrow and I must decide between writing on Brazil's sugar dispute against the E.U. or production subsidies. Although agriculture is such a small part of world trade (as opposed to manufactured products, services or foreign investments), it really is a very complex and somewhat tedious and highly politicized field. Wow, is it tedious.. =)

Spent the night talking nonstop with Christine and just learning about relationships again. She's such a unique creature - one of those really traditional women who feel that women should be treated specially and treasured and adored. But at the same time she's a strong, smart, and all around amazing girl. She's not a whimpery anti-feminist, so it's interesting to hear her particular brand of gender roles.
Another conference room
I have to say I learned a lot. I really love it here and I'm pretty pissed that I have to leave.

Tomorrow, the plan is to hand in our papers, go get dinner and then go dancing at Platinum! Maybe I should check into the hotel somewhere between there, but I've got a day's worth of overlap between the apt and hotel, so that takes some of the pressure off...

Thank god I was able to pick up a few souvenirs from the U.N. although I have to say they really didn't have much available. They have a ton of BOOKS available though, which is nice but..

At this rate, I definitely won't be able to visit Montreaux tomorrow and probably won't even be able to see Gruyere on Monday, as I may have to actually go into work and finish up there.. UGH. I wasted my Friday but I honestly just couldn't help it..
Anti-Mine artwork.
Anti-Mine artwork.
Looking old and strange in front o…
Looking old and strange in front …
Museum