Bangkok or Bust!

Bangkok Travel Blog

Buddha!!!
So, my first day and a half or so of Bangkok occured during the Chinese New Year festivities...yay!  Go team!  It was exciting and fun to drink coconut milk from a fresh coconut and eat the fleshy fleshy goodness that you can only get from a fresh coconut!  My taxi driver from the hotel was so eager to tell me how much he loved his King.  That's how people in Thailand refer to His Majesty....he is "Their" King.  It's really weird when the international airport has King Power duty free shops and his royal mug is every other place you turn!  However I must commend the Bangkok International Airport as it is SOOOOO awesome and huge.  I kinda got lost in there on my way home.
mmmm crushed ice!
  ANYWAYS....I headed out to Khaosan Road on the advice of many friends here at the Village.  It was really cool cuz the guesthouses were pretty damn cheap and interesting.  However I will never again travel in odd numbered groups....3 people one room can be a bit weird!

After the day and half in Bangkok, I headed out to Phuket and Koh Phi Phi with my two friends, Bianca and Adela.  It was fun, until the extremely serious burn I got on my legs began to hurt.  Its a very weird sensation when you take a shower in a hostel with no hot water, and by the time the water trickles off your fingertips, its lukewarm from the heat of the burn.  Aloe and some cortisone cream helped alleviate the pain and swelling.
His Majesty and his Royal Consort?

Seriously though, the swelling from the burn on my legs was fierce!  My legs swelled so that they looked and felt like sausages being bbqed and just before the skin breaks...that's how it felt, and yeah it was really creepy!

Otherwise, hangin out on the island was alright...hostel lady was overfriendly and wanted us to hang out with all her swedish friends and buy her overpriced alcohol!  At night, our sleep was interrupted by some crazy loud noise...we never did figure out what it was!  We also saw some cool fire poi and dancing and some transvestite boxing!  That was cool!  I had the opportunity to have one thai massage on the beach on Phi Phi Island.  The masseuse had actually survived the tsunami.  She told me how difficult it was to clean up the beach, and how the huge boulders that one can see when the tide is out weren't there before the tsunami.
yay coconut and tiger beer!
  A painful reminder of a tragic event.

The trip home was alright, until my friend Nolan and I found out that our flight was delayed, and delayed, and delayed.  I got back to the Village in barely enough time to take a quick shower, but had no time to moisturize my rapidly peeling face.  By the time I ran from my apartment to the classroom, my peeling visage received a comment from my lone student: "Teacher, you look like alien from Predator"!  hahaa.....good times...I had begung to get used to the Thai hospitality and it only took a few moments back in Korea to have the cold hard bitter truth just blurted out to my face!  Ahhh! nothing feels better than culture shock!
seymoura says:
Coconuts, Tiger Beer, and Trannies. That's what Pattaya was like for me. That's a fun travel blog you wrote. I remember how everyone loved the king. It's definitely a bad idea to talk smack about the king!
Posted on: Jul 22, 2007
tuk tuk wha?
tuk tuk wha?
King Power!!! Royal Throne thingie…
King Power!!! Royal Throne thingi…