Northward ho...

Brisbane Travel Blog

Things got a bit confusing around this point in the trip. We'd always intended to stop in Brisbane, spend a few days there, etc etc. But we met some friends of mine from Glasgow who were over for the British Lions Rugby Tour, and had dinner with them in Sydney, and during the meal, it came out that there was a Canterbury outlet store in one of the Brisbane Suburbs. This made my then-other half's eyes light up, so there was no doubt a stop in Brisbane and a trip out on the train was in order.

However, when we got to Byron, the friend from St Andrews that we ran into had been travelling down the coast, and recomended a stop in Noosa. We couldn't really do both, and on reading a borrowed guide book decided we'd go to Noosa, but stop in Brisbane on the way for the rugby shop.

So, Greyhound pass gets put to use again, and we leave Surfers for Brisbane on the first bus we could get. We left our backpacks in left luggage, had a nice lunch from SubWay (the first I'd ever seen!) on Breaker Beach (an entirely man-made beach in the middle of the city, with swimming lagoon and real sand) and hopped on the train. If memory serves, we went out the city to a place called the Queen Street Mall, which wasn't the nicest place I've ever been. But we found the Canterbury outlet and that was all that mattered.

So, nearly two hours of raiding through rails and bins of shirts we left again, he with 4 shirts, me with just the one (the Queensland Reds away shirt - I liked the little koala in the 'Q' of the logo!) and made it back to the city for our bus to Noosa.

At this point, I should say the Greyhound buses were great. The seats were comfortable, the drivers helpful and one the longer trips they put on films, with TVs dotted up the bus. They all had loos on board, and the really long trips stopped every few hours at petrol stations/ truck stops for a break.

So, our two nights in Noosa beckoned.

sylviandavid says:
Spontanously doing what you want... the reason you don't take tours.... fun read.
Posted on: Aug 15, 2009