AsiaIndiaAgra

Frustration in Agra

Agra Travel Blog

As said, I was now on a tight schedule to hit Kolkata, and as such allowed just a day to view the Taj Mahal in Agra. The town itself really is pretty horrendous and it does have just the one redeeming feature. Arriving late at night I booked my ticket out for the following evening at the train station, and stepping out into a torrential downpour I made a bee-line for a guesthouse close to the monument and settled down to a good night's sleep.

I awoke the next morning to brilliant sunshine and began the short walk to the Taj, sniggering as I watched a cow pinch several loaves of white sliced bread, and then feeling sick as the cow was showered in small stones by the locals. Unfortunately there is not alot one can do in these situations.

I strolled round the corner to the main gate and noticed it closed. Unfortunately the authorities recently changed the timetable for the Taj and it would be closed all day Friday. Sod's Law! Nevermind, I headed across the river and managed to get a reasonable look across at this very impressive structure before heading to the train station and another overnighter to Varanasi.

Book Reviews (lots of train time at the moment, ergo lots of reading)

Ben Elton - Dead Famous: An hilarious parody of Big Brother, and a pretty good who-dun-it. An interesting insight into the despearate lengths (although exagerated I hope) that TV executives will go in order to maximise audience figures. Very funny.

Tom Sharpe - Wilt on High: I first read this several years ago and found it very funny. At that time I was going through a Tom Sharpe faze, and had read the prequel, Wilt, just before, and I seem to remember it being funnier then. Maybe its just because I am now a bit more widely read. Never-the-less, still very good, I like Tom Sharpe and would strongly recommend his South African and Cambridge books.

Agra