A Brief Stop-Over

Hurghada Travel Blog

It was with a heavy heart that I left Dahab to catch the boat from Sharm el-Sheik to Hurghada on the Egyptian "mainland". Hurghada is not worthy of much comment, I stayed only the one night, it was simply for me a conduit to Luxor, to where I caught the bus the following morning.

However, I shall use this opportunity for a couple of book reviews:

Jerome K Jerome - 3 Men in a Boat (Not to mention the dog)

A book brought to my attention by a TV series last year where thr trip, from London to Oxford on the Thames, was re-enacted. This book is hilarious in that Victorian style, and I fairly rattled through it. Not long, and somewhat dated in aspects as a book written in Victoian times will be, its great fun and reminded me of various escapades both from my youth and the last few weeks.

Brett Easton Ellis - The Rules of Attraction.

I struggled with this book to begin with. It is written in a style that I generally find attractive, but I struggled to find much empathy with the characters. I actually started it before JKJ (above) but had to put it down. However, once I restarted, from about half way through, I started to find it more appealing, and was cheered when chatting with another traveller who said that she had felt similarly of the book. It was finished in a flourish. This is probably the worst book that I have read on my travels so far, but I have been lucky enough to read some absolute crackers!

Hurghada