Back to Mumbai

Mumbai Travel Blog

 › entry 22 of 36 › view all entries

After a horrendous train journey - the first 3 hrs of which were in a crammed unreserved carriage, stood up in a corner with a vile smell of ammonia, followed by the more usual 20 hrs in sleeper class that came as a blessed relief - myself and Andrew arrived in Mumbai and headed back to the Volga hotel to hook up with Tom, Ian and the Aussies, who had made the journey the day earlier.

This was largely a period of housekeeping by day, drinking by night. The hotel was pleased to see me back and sorted a decent room. Andrew flew up to Leh on the Monday, as he wanted to check some more big rocks before he had to fly back to Canada and vet school (he had previously been doing volunteer work at a camel and elephant hospital in Jaipur). Monday was to be the Aussie girls last night with us as well, Eve and Soph were heading somewhere, not sure where, so this necessitated a big night, starting at Leopolds and then on to the Red Lamp club, mainly bad hip-hop and R'n'B, but a really good laugh as we get pretty hammered knocking back the vodkas.

Tuesday was no exciting affair, the highlight being a visit to the cinema in the evening to see the Da Vinci Code (pretty awful). Once in the auditorium we sat down to tucking into our snacks when the screen lit up with a picture of the Indian flag. The national anthem bellowed out and all around stood up, so we followed suit, sniggering a little it has to be said. The film also had an interval, something I hadn't encountered since God only knows when! Also that afternoon we had been invited to drink tea with an elderly, semi-retired Indian gentleman who was much travelled and quite charming. He regaled how he had travelled overland, hitch-hiking, from India to Germany on several occaisions.

Wednesday was escape day, and we caught the train to Jalgaon from where we would make a day trip to the caves at Ajanta.


Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: vvicy1