AfricaEgyptAswan

Aswan - This is more like it!

Aswan Travel Blog

Aswan is delightful, very picturesque, the Nile is beautiful here with various islands and plantlife where there had been none in Aswan, greenery was a very pleasant sight indeed. Add to that the comparative lack of touts, although still many barges, if only Aswan had Luxor's treasures! I only hope that the Luxor planners have looked here for inspiration.

I had intended to visit Abu Simbel but, on checking my visa, time in Egypt was fast running out. The trip would have been a full day starting at 3am, and my energy levels were not high enough to contemplate this (and if I ever come back to Egypt I need some things new to see), and therefore I looked into my primary concern, travelling back down the Nile towards Luxor on a felucca. Fortunately my hotel was able to arrange such a trip, 2 nights, 3 days, all food and ice for the beers that we bought for 10 quid - well happy! My shipmates were to be Antoine, a 21 year old Belgian who could easily pass for 15, Garth (Oz) and Julietta (Argy), great fun all, along with Captain Mohammed and his 1st mate steering the ship and cooking up some fantastic grub.

We were also accompanied by a second boat filled with Aussies and Yanks who were also a really good crowd, and we would all join forces on the stop-offs. The days were spent lazing on the river, playing cards, swapping tales. Sailing, or more often floating, down the river was very relaxing and the shade from the awning and breeze over the water brought the temperature down beautifully. At the lunch and evening stops we would cool off in the river (where it was safe) drink and make merry, with bonfires in the desert.

On the way we would also visit the temple at Komombo, dedicated to the crocodiles, and that at Edfu. However, the Temples of Egypt generally follow the same pattern and with no real knowledge of hieroglyphs they do tend to merge after a while, at least after the first couple. At Edfu we boarded a bus to take us the final few kms back to Luxor where I arranged my ticket on that evening's overnight train to Cairo. The train was comfortable as I had a compartment to myself and could spread out and get some much needed kip. I awoke as we pulled into Ramses Station and headed for, where else, Hostel Dahab!

karulm says:
So happy to read another glowing blog of Aswan. I love it there. I've always wanted to do the Luxor/Aswan or vice versa trip by felucca but never have enough time. Very glad that you did it and had a great time. Thanks for sharing. :)
Posted on: May 24, 2007