Aqaba blah blah

Aqaba Travel Blog

Aqaba is a tourist town and not worthy of great comment. Its position is interesting, being able to stand in one spot and see Jordan, Israel, Egypt and Saudi is pretty cool.

The beaches are ok, and I got some snorkelling in as a precursor for the diving to come. Went out for a few beers in the evening to the very cheesey "Rovers Return", but a cool pint was refreshing.

Israel is now well and truelly off the itinery after we heard about the bomb in Tel Aviv. I was advised by an Israeli travelling companion that the rubber gloves would be out as I crossed the border due to having Syrian stamps in my passport. Searches would take place everywhere and, when taking into account the costs of visiting the country, I decided that this was hassle I could well do without. I am supposed to be enjoying myself afterall, and the saved cash should cover the diving course expenses.

So the following day myself and Bastien caught the morning ferry from Aqaba to Nuweiba in Egypt, via duty free of course, and determined on reaching Dahab that afternoon. This was made all the easier on arrival in Egypt when a French truck driver offered us free transport to Dahab as it would save him money on his entry to the country if he had passengers. This turned into a double bonus when we mentioned our interest in diving. This was also his reason for going and he advised us of a good school (which turned out to be our previously considered first choice) and would take us to the door.

Eric says:
Aqaba should be in the right place now :) good luck with the rest of your trip.
Posted on: May 12, 2006