Last Night In Boston

Somerville Travel Blog

I leave Boston tomorrow.  I’m driving over 700 miles, through Canada, to move the last of my belongings in with my father in Michigan.  I’ll be there until Sept. 4th when I fly to Dublin from Detroit.

I feel better tonight than I did last night.  Last night I was feeling quite sad at the thought of leaving Boston and saying goodbye to all the friends I’ve made since moving here 5.5 years ago.

I was also feeling lost.  Up until this year I’ve always been a planner, and knew what I was going to be doing (career or education-wise) one year ahead of the present.  Now, I have no idea what I’ll be doing in 1 month, let alone 1 year.  I have an itinerary for my trip, but I’m sure it will change and I have no idea who I’ll meet or what kind of experiences I’ll live through.  But that’s the whole point of this!

I need to get out of America, and see the world.  I need to experience how other people live.  I need to see first-hand the natural wonders of this beautiful world.  And I need to experience an adventure like this to re-enchant myself with life.

I think I feel better today because I talked with some good friends who re-assured me that what I’m doing is a great thing that a lot of people never get the chance to do, and that I can always come back to Boston if I want to when I’m done.  They also reassured me that I’m not ‘back-peddling’ in life (for a brief period of time I felt like this trip might not be as worthwhile as finding a new job…what was I thinking?!), but forward-peddling light-speed ahead.  Thanks Lim, Helina and Aaron for being positive understanding friends.

photo by: spocklogic