Alaska - Day 2: Kena

Anchorage Travel Blog

This journal entry is a draft and has not been published yet. Please check back later!
Aaron's view of what was supposed to be his plane, but alas he had to wait another 5 hours.

Day 1; 7-21-07:

I was very excited to fly to Anchorage with my long-time friend Aaron.  We would catch the same flight from Chicago onward.  When I reached Chicago from Boston I called him to see where he was.  “I’m on the subway.”  There was one hour left before our flight departed and I said “Really?  There’s only one hour left.  I hope you make it.”  He got to the United check-in counter with just a little less than 45 minutes to take-off.  They wouldn’t let him check his bags due to the 45 minute cut-off policy they have.  Neither Aaron nor I had ever heard of this policy before.  Therefore since he could not check his bags, he could not catch the flight.  They told him he would have to catch the next flight leaving in about 5 hours.  He was furious; furious in an Aaron way, which is not yelling or acting out violently, but assertively.  Still, no matter how assertive Aaron was, they would not let him on the plane.  We were communicating by cell phone and we were only about one hundred yards apart.  I never saw him before I boarded, but I knew he made it through security.  He even took a picture of our plane from the gate before I took off.  So, I flew the six hours by myself while Aaron read the latest and last Harry Potter book that had just been released that morning.

As the plane neared Anchorage I could see Mt. McKinley to the North.  The older couple sitting next to me pointed it out.  It’s the tallest peak in North America at about 20,000 feet.

After we landed I waited for about 30 minutes for my checked backpack while looking around for Meghan.  I had contacted Meghan through Couchsurfing.com.  She was going to let Aaron and I stay the night at her place.  But I had no idea what she looked like, and she was looking for two guys (she knew Aaron would be with me), and I had grown some facial hair and was wearing my glasses.  Right after I grabbed my backpack a woman approached me and asked if I was Cliff.  She had found me amongst all the other passengers.  Her and her boyfriend Travis drove me to pick up my rental car and I followed them to their house.

While I waited for Aaron’s flight to land so I could pick him up, Travis’s friends showed up and we went to a nearby bar nicknamed Coots which contains 16 bars inside, ranging from the Bird Cage (slanted floor, underwear hanging all over ceiling and walls, strongest smelling substance I’ve ever experienced coming out of a pickle jar) to a bar inside what looks to be an old ice cream truck.

After Aaron arrived Meghan and Travis had friends over for a cook-out of halibut, and shish-kabobs.  Some of their friends were Couchsurfers too.  One guy named Jacque had hitch-hiked from California to Alaska and back.  I was very intrigued by this and asked him many questions over the course of the night.

They all headed out to the bars around 11pm but Aaron and I were exhausted (it was 3am our time), and we crashed (I on the couch, Aaron in the bed).  Meghan and Travis were my first Couchsurfing experience, and they made it awesome.

Aarons view of what was supposed …
Aaron's view of what was supposed…
Anchorage