Sleep Deprivation and Bomb Checks

Heliopolis Travel Blog

My trek originated in Oakland, California, VERY early in the morning, then a layover for several hours in New York that afternoon, then onto the Netherlands where I met up with my friend Daryl to spend our whole flight fatigued afternoon in Amsterdam. It seems so natural for us to meet in Schipol airport by the stairs leading down to the trains, and we hadn't even seen each other in almost a year even though we both live in California. We’ve been here at the beginnings and ends of trips around 6 or 7 times over the past 7 years. Anyway, so that was around noon. We then proceeded to splash water on our faces to try to gain some wakefulness, locked our packs away in the airport lockers, obtained some Euros for the afternoon (Guilders were so much cooler looking), and wandered around like zombies before taking the train back to Schipol airport for our night flight to Egypt.

We arrived in Cairo at around 2 am after our flight was delayed until midnight -- All this in the name of saving a few bucks! Daryl and I had been up for at least 40 hours prior to reaching our destination. Got to Heliopolis, which is a lot farther outside of Cairo than I had envisioned, and proceeded through two security checkpoints, one of which was used to check the taxi for bombs. They took a large mirror on a stick to check the undercarriage. I think things were particularly touchy since the Red Sea hotel bombings had occurred only a week or so prior. Proceeded to our room and crashed, sleeping all through the next day.

toathar says: