Hotton

Leuven Travel Blog

Church
Well i ended my last blog with a promise to come back and tell something about Hotton. I headed off again to Wallonia (just can't get enough of this area). This time, as always, the driving force was beer. The occassion was the Beer festival in Hotton. The journey was straight forward. The town is around 2 km from the railway station. Quite manageable even on foot. The town is pretty small but nice with a stream flowing through it. There is a quite big green area, aptly called the island, where the festival was being held.
The first thing I noticed when I reached the place was the church. Extremely beautiful building with the stream flowing by. I realized it only afterwards that on sunny days, as was the day, the stream side turned into a big picnic, swimming and sun bathing spot.
Well I did end up getting bit more brown.

As far as the key attractions are concerned I would definitely recommend the Caves of Hotton. The caves have supposedely the highest galleria in Belgium and are extremely beautiful. The tour takes you through some really beautiful natural formations and to the source of it all: the underground torrent. Well 'torrent' will be a bit of over statement to make, but I guess thats what it once was and maybe its scientifically a more appropriate term to use. The tour was pretty nice. Do remember to take a jacket with you since it can be a bit cold in there. Officially the tours are in Dutch and French, but for groups can also be made in English. This is where I had one of my best experiences and says a lot about the staff at this place.
Macaroni
In the tour group of 20 odd people, I was the only one who could not understand Dutch and French. And just for a single person, the tour guide made the extra effort to explain everything in English.
So because of me, the tour took more time then it was supposed to, since now my guide had to repeat everything in three languages rather than two. It says a lot about the extra effort the staff is willing to make in order to make it a memorable experience for you. The tour was extremely exciting. Do check out some pics
And off I went to the beer festival and everything was the usual again. Drinking, meeting new people, more drinking, missing my train, staying at the station for the night, returning home next morning and a bad hangover for whole of the rest day.
Somethings never change :)
Check out the next blog for something about Gent. And in coming weeks I may have something to write about the beaches in Belgium.
Till then ....
Super mini pond
Super mini pond
Giant Toad
Giant Toad
Some Indian connection at the beer…
Some Indian connection at the bee…
Leuven