Day 2 - Dinant - Crupet Trip

Leuven Travel Blog

Inside the church
After my exploits on Day - 1, I was pretty upbeat about Day 2. The plan was to see the town of Dinant and then head off to the villages of Crupet and Celles.

As usual I took my bike and landed up at Dinant. I had absolutely no idea that there was a biker's gathering happening that day. Motorbikers from all over belgium and France came down to Dinant. A reception was arranged for them. Funky motorbikes were on display. After downing couple of pints with the bikers (nothing as compared to what I did the previous day), I started off with my sight seeing.

The first stop was the church. Well like almost all the churches in Belgium this one was old and beautiful. A nice place to visit. The second stop was Grand Rue (kind of main street).
View of Dinant from the fortress
Most of the shops are on this road. The third stop was the fortress. There are guided tours every half an hour. The unfortunate part is that the tours are in dutch and french (again no english :( ). The good thing was that almost all the exhibits have information plaques in english, so I could get the essence of things. The tour was bit long but pretty good. The fortress is on the top of the hill and provides an impressive view of the town below.

Dinant is a nice small town, with lots of pubs and restaurants. I was also informed that there are very beautiful caves around 10 minutes from the town center and an abbey. Because of lack of time, I couldnot visit them. You can find more information on these from the Tourist Office, which is couple of minutes from the railway station.

I picked the bike up and headed off for Crupet.
Human fussball
Right on the outskirts of Dinant another festival was going on. Great music, drinks, food and lots of french speaking beautiful Wallonian girls ;). One thing I would always remember from the festival was the game of human fu╬▓ball.

After nearly half an hour the realisation dawned on me that I was on my way to Crupet. So off I started again. This time I went awfully awry on my route. Thankfully I kept running into English speaking Wallonians (a very rare breed indeed ;)) and finally did manage to reach Crupet. Crupet is around 15 kms from Dinant, and take my advice, please DONOT do this route on a bike. The ride is uphill most of the time and gets painfully tough. I lost nearly an hour due to slow ascent speed and my wandering ways. But since every cloud has a silver lining I managed to visit some places which I would not have seen had I not got lost.
Crupet

The first of such places is the village of Spontin. Spontin is a beautiful little village. The second place was Durnal. The village of Durnal has an awesome camping site and the village in itself is extremely beautiful. If you are interested in hiking, I think the route from Dinant to Crupet is good for that. The beautiful village of Dorienne also lies in the way. Crupet is a more commercially active village than Falaen and Soulme. Maybe that's because of the camping site in Dural. There is a decent pub and hotel at the center of the village and lot more people out on the streets.

Right opposite to the pub is a very peculiar structure. On first look it seems like a ruin. I am not sure if it is really a church or not.  The structure is extremely beautiful. You can also check out the river flowing near the village.
The ruin I was talking about in the blog
On a nice sunny day (as was on Sunday), this village and the hills around it can be a superb place to spend the afternoon.

The time had come for me to head off to Celles. I again lost my way and by now was running around 1 and a half hour behind schedule. I couldnot figure out my direction and in the end landed up on the highway with a signboard directing towards Dinant. Since I was running behind schedule and had to report back to work on Monday (yes that's what I came to Belgium for), I decided to call off my trip to Celles and headed back to Dinant. It was disappointing since I have been told that Celles is a very beautiful village located in a wooded valley like Crupet. Maybe I will visit it some other time.

Even if you donot want to visit the villages, I would still recommend Dinant. It is well connected by trains to all the Belgian cities. It should be inexpensive to travel from any city in Belgium and the place is definitely worth visiting.

Next week I head off to Hotton where a major beer festival is being held. Its again in Wallonia. So hopefully I would have more to share with you all next week.

Until then ......

cheers

Sid
maplefanta says:
Really great description and photos of Dinant, next time I really have to go out of the city to its surrounding. But I must say you mistakenly located your blog in 'Leuven', which is far away.
Posted on: Dec 02, 2007
Crupet
The ruin I was talking about in th…
The ruin I was talking about in t…
Inside the ruin