Come On Baby Light My Fire

Pucon Travel Blog

Church at Pucon

I awake to the sound of someone in the living room of our cabana trying to light the fire.  It's Jackie feeling the cold and keen to warm up the room before breakfast.  After consuming all of her Aerolineas in-flight magazine to get the fire going with no success she admits defeat and goes and puts on another jacket.

We are now in Pucon a convenient place to break the journey north.  When we arrive it is raining very heavily and while we wait for lunch I venture out into the rain to find a place to stay.  Though there are plenty of options here it is raining so hard, now is not the time to be too fussy so when the guesthouse round the corner offers me a 2 bedroom cabana for 25,000 per night it fits the bill perfectly.

Volcano from Pucon lake shore
  I tell the lady I will be back in 30 minutes and she offers to light the fire in the cabin to warm up the place.

As the 1st of May is a public holiday we shop for provisions and make our own breakfast of orange juice, fried eggs, bread and coffee which goes down well.  Pucon is the adventure capital of Chile but as it is now low season the town seems quiet, though every other shop is still offering either rafting trips or guided ascents of the local volcano.   From the pictures and videos on show, both look good and not bad value, but we will stop here just one day so are looking for a more moderate activity. We consider hiring bikes but in the end decide to walk up to the church overlooking the town and on to the neighbouring cemetary where there is a statue of Christ carved from a single large tree trunk.

Pucon volcano
  The torrential rain of yesterday has gone and the weather is steadily improving.  By afternoon the volcano makes an appearance through the clouds.  Today it would probably be possible to summit though I doubt anyone is making the attempt.  In the evening we find a restaurant serving krill so have to try it out.  It´s not too bad, like prawns but with a much subtler flavour.

I can see why Pucon is a popular holiday town.  The lakeside setting is magnificent and the area extremely pictureque, I could easily spend a week here, climbing the volcano, hiking in the park and enjoying the other actvities.

skippyed says:
Sounds lovely, I'm going to spend some time there for sure :-)
Posted on: May 09, 2012